Breakout cables and adapters

Guest Taskin

Guest Taskin

Hi everyone, sorry if this came up before as searching didn't come up with much.

Anyone have any experience in making breakout cables for the 788T with Return and Timecode over a 10-Pin Hirose cable, in order to connect to an Alexa? Unfortunately I do not own a mixer so have to improvise.

I know I can buy them, but I would like to make them myself considering they can get damaged pretty easily and thought maybe someone has the diagram of some sort I can use as reference, since I have no idea how things work on the Alexa end and cant seem to find the diagram for its pins.

Thank you

Erkal

Thanks Eric.

How about if I want to run TC as well over the same 10pin, is that possible? 

Sure. TC is just another audio signal but watch for cross talk between the TC & the audio. Here's a picture of a Hirose adaptor I made for a Nomad with TA 5 connectors to attach to the Nomad and a Hirose to Alexa adapter cable.

Eric

post-22-0-53900400-1374671756_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-72428900-1374671863_thumb.jpg

Guest Taskin

Ops deleted the post by mistake, ok thank you Eric, seems a lot easier than I thought, I suppose no need for TC if I am recording audio to the camera anyways, right?

Taskin,

I recently made a 2ch audio, return and TC breakout (Used Neutricon, not Hirose) and so far have not experienced cross talk between TC and audio using my 788 with Alexa, Reds, Canons and some Sonys. But heard some people mentioning cross talk issues on multiple posts here so I guess we don't really know what causes the problem. Probably depends on the material we use and the soldering work which was something Erik warned me while I was building mine too ;)

Here is to the one I built.

In general I love hand built cables. Let us know how yours go.

Good luck,

Engin. 

Guest Taskin

Taskin,

I recently made a 2ch audio, return and TC breakout (Used Neutricon, not Hirose) and so far have not experienced cross talk between TC and audio using my 788 with Alexa, Reds, Canons and some Sonys. But heard some people mentioning cross talk issues on multiple posts here so I guess we don't really know what causes the problem. Probably depends on the material we use and the soldering work which was something Erik warned me while I was building mine too ;)

Here is to the one I built.

In general I love hand built cables. Let us know how yours go.

Good luck,

Engin. 

Engin, will post as soon as I get the parts and make it.

I love making my own cables too, its almost therapeutic :P

Great work btw, I love the Rean plugs also, got them on my new Cos11's...