Deva Fusion First Impressions

Paul Graff

The Zaxcom Deva OS is based on the Windows platform. (This is why the Deva OS simulator software will only run on a Windows machine). Anyone who has used a Windows machine will instantly recognize the interface.

As to the Cantar already having the ability to create a PDF sound report file again more bad information. They took almost 4 years to write the firmware to perform the PDF creation and have a patent on it and several other features the recorder offers.

I stand corrected.

In a son-of-UNIX (son of NeXT in this case) as the Mac OSX is, it's so easy to make it do something like return a PDF that I extrapolated that fact.

Anyway, I doubt that the Deva (Glenn or Howy will correct me) even if it visually resembles a DOS application (more than a Windows one) it's running Windows underneath (or W Mobile) and that's what I meant.

The Deva has it's own OS. Do not mixup how things look on the screen (or the simulator) with the OS itself.

BTOH, I read somewhere that the Cantar OS was running over one of those OS...

hey, maybe "more bad information" =:P

>>>

This is a false statement.

The Deva/Fusion OS is 100% Zaxcom and 0% Microsoft. This is the key to recording 16 tracks with realtime effects and mixing. The GUI simulator runs on PC as does Excel that displays our sound report. The Devasim could easily run on a mac as well if we put the time into it.

Glenn

>>>

I did not see Glenn's message when answering, sorry.

So your "more bad information" should read just "bad speculation" about PDF creation on the Cantar =:)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(...)  it appears that it is not any sort of significant problem for telecine to be able to access and read these report files whether they are from the Cantar or the Deva. In all cases, a host computer is required that has software that can display and make readable/printable, any electronic sound report file that we deliver. (...)

Yes, but  a PDF is much more desirable in my opinion since it is an universal type of document that is already formatted and ready to view, and everyone will see the same thing, and that is smooth and great

I really wish I could produce PDFs with my Deva instead of telling post they have to open the data within a database, etc.

But hey, at least we are in the way

Unfortunately this thread has gotten a little off track. It was about the Deva Fusion and then turned into a comparative to the Cantar. The Cantar vs Deva posts are interesting, but when they begin to remind me of families arguing at the Thanksgiving Dinner table -- I kind of wish "they" would cut it out!

RL

I agree with Richard here (even though I am, of course, part of the problem) and I think everything that can be said about machine generated sound reports has been said. There is no shortage of clarity regarding the original question and it has now succumbed to the Deva vs. Cantar war so prevalent on r.a.m.p.s. (but thankfully fairly rare here).

So, Jeff Wexler, cut it out ... and Scott Farr, you cut it out too.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler (still willing to police myself).

" This is a false statement.

The Deva/Fusion OS is 100% Zaxcom and 0% Microsoft. This is the key to recording 16 tracks with realtime effects and mixing. The GUI simulator runs on PC as does Excel that displays our sound report "

I frequently post, or send PM's to folks with technical questions here and on ramps suggesting that the proper place for such manufacturer specific technical information would be the manufacturer.

One person referred to my post as "hate mail".

and while I'm at it: one can design an Excel template for the Excel files, and provide it to post, etc. with the first set of files...

so, finally: these discussions could go on forever, and there is no "right" or "wrong" choice.

I love my car, but wish it got the gas mileage of a hybrid,  but if I want the Hybrids' mileage, I have to get a Hybrid, instead of the car I prefer.  life is full of choices.

PDF's can be read by many if not all computers, given the appropriate software.

PDFs are, however, tricky at best, and sometimes not possible, to unpick and edit.

Many sound post prod depts may well wish to edit some of the info on the original sound sheet, or to add to it.

This is far easier with an excel, or a .csv file, than it might be on a PDF.

So - Aaton (pdf) have a good thing, and Zaxcom (.csv) also have a good thing.

Kindest regards to all,

Simon B

Yes, but  a PDF is much more desirable in my opinion since it is an universal type of document that is already formatted and ready to view, and everyone will see the same thing, and that is smooth and great

I really wish I could produce PDFs with my Deva instead of telling post they have to open the data within a database, etc.

But hey, at least we are in the way

Yes I also think both ways have advantages. Both formats are desirable. I mean, I want both!  =:)

For a short job in wich who will do the post is unknown (docu, commercial, etc) I would send PDFs no doubt, because I won't be able to reach post beforehand and prepare them to use the raw data, provide them with my teplates, etc.

Otherwise I would send the raw data so they can use it in any way. But... I'm shure I would send the PDF too if I can...!

P.S. I think the "electronically generated report" discussion is prefectly valid -if we keep cool- but it is just the wrong thread...

PDF's can be read by many if not all computers, given the appropriate software.

PDFs are, however, tricky at best, and sometimes not possible, to unpick and edit.

This is far easier with an excel, or a .csv file, than it might be on a PDF.

PDF can be read by any computer that has the free Adobe Acrobat reader. The Mac simply reads PDF with it's Preview anyway. It has been this way with Macs since 2004 at least.

PDF can be edited, but one wouldn't want to edit one but rather add comments and notes to it as a Post person. This is possible and easy.

Yes I also think both ways have advantages. Both formats are desirable. I mean, I want both!  =:)

Secondly, ALE & csv files are generated by the Cantar which are both text files. This is apart from the PDF sound report.

best regards

-vin

PS: After all, the text (data) is required to make a PDF! If it is accessible to the machine in the first place, making a csv or an ALE is the first and easiest thing it can do! :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I just finished my first day with my fusion. two things of note. Playback from the mirrored DVD was spotty and broke up when I played back 8 tracks. I have been assured that this is due to buffering and that all is well. Second was that I had some trouble getting mirroring going at all (the fusion would lock up and have to be switched off/on) with  48.048k sample rate, Howie suggested changing firewire cables and after the 3rd cable it worked well. just wondering if anyone else has had sample rate dependant issues

James