change user name

Richard Ragon

Hey, Richard, I don't know the answer to this because I'm still trying to figure out how Facebook login works (so far, I'm not a fan). I think that with Facebook login you have to login with your Facebook credentials (whatever you have as your Facebook name, password, etc.) but I really don't know. I may be confusing Facebook REGISTRATION and Facebok login for someone who is alrwady a member. I do know you can change your Display Name any time you want (and keep your login name and password so that it all still works).

Anybody else here using Facebook for any of these things?

It's interesting how Facebook is being used as an athentication method.  I assumed that you had that authentication app on this site.. but I guess not.  I have used it on several login websites, instead of creating another account.

developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-login/‎

-Richard

Facebook has supported it for a while. They love it because they know what you are doing online (so they can cater ads). Many sites (like newspapers) like it because it cuts down on spam and hate posts. People talk a lot less racist/sexist/homophobic/threatening dirt when the post links to their Facebook profile. Again, I don't mean this site, but newspapers and local TV affiliates that are plagued with that stuff.

I waan't saying I'm not on Facebook, I actually do spend way too much time logged into Facebook, I was just saying that I provide logging into this site using Facebook Connect (a Facebook product) for member's convenience. As fat as authentication goes when registering, I have configured it now so that you cannot register using Facebook account (I think) and when people register they have to be approved, by me, manually before they are actually able to log in. This manual authentication process really just involves me doing as much detective work as I feel is necessary --- going over what is put in the "About" box, looking at the Location and reconciling with the IP address, looking for anything that might be suspect (and no, I'm not PROFILING, I'm just trying to make sure that people that are signing up are actually people who want to participate in this site and have an interest in our online community). It is time consuming, this authentication process, but it seems to be working quite well.