guilt?

nhaudio

I worked on a reality show where the subject wasn't bad, but the producer was messing with the answers he wanted the talent to say. Just made my blood boil since most of my work had been news up til then. I was making my rate, they cut me at ten and I suffered through it.

I did a freelance reality gig last year (on a show I should not name), and I was very surprised how little the angry, arrogant director did not mess with the interviewee's answers. They were not manipulated to say things they didn't want to say; the worst they did was, "hey, that's a great answer... can you say it again, only a little faster, and then pause on this sentence?" I don't see that as amoral, since they weren't deviating too far from their original.

Even the sleazy shows do have some rules. (Never mind about the "storage building" shows where they're renting lavish props to discover at the end of each episode.)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Balance the crap with meaningful jobs

Turn down the jobs that are mindless

Remember we are sound guys not critics editors or directors

We all have a business responsiblity for cash flow, family, tax and new gear

Guys that collect trash can do not judge the rubbish it's a paid job!

mike

Interesting how we rarely mention our shows/films/projects by name on the board. Curious to hear opinions as to why (all y'all) feel that might be.

1)If you can frame this question the answer should be obvious.

2) There is an old tradition in Hollywood where you say "I did this shot once..." and never mention the film or actor and are never asked such by your peers as you tell a story. Same with other crew members names. Maybe this is a carry over from old school to new school, but I doubt it.

CrewC

1)If you can frame this question the answer should be obvious.

2) There is an old tradition in Hollywood where you say "I did this shot once..." and never mention the film or actor and are never asked such by your peers as you tell a story. Same with other crew members names. Maybe this is a carry over from old school to new school, but I doubt it.

CrewC

Bad manners, and deal memos that explicitly state you shouldn't talk about the show. It's an easy Internet search to find out a sound mixer site is talking about a show (and know if it's a crew member). Why would anyone hire a crew member that airs a show's dirty laundry, especially on the Internet where it's public and permanent.

Interesting how we rarely mention our shows/films/projects by name on the board. Curious to hear opinions as to why (all y'all) feel that might be.

...because this town is too small. You'll shoot yourself in the foot if you go running your mouth about previous gigs or cast/crew you've worked with. I learned this lesson 15 years ago when I started making fun of Erik Estrada. I thought I was being funny until I realized the entire crew got quiet and stopped what they were doing to listen to me. The DP interrupted me and said, " you realize that we all work with him on his other show, right !?". Yup, that was an uncomfortable rest of the day. 

I dayplayed on a hunting show and have vowed to never do it again simply because it was the typical produced reality, but with real consequences. Instead of actual hunting, they had the "hunted" animal in a cage just out of frame, opened the gate and then released the dogs on them. I'm all for hunting, but not this bullshit. It's in the back of mind to this day. Turns out, I do have standards.

PS ~ I'm not naming the show so that they can never say that I did, not because I care what you guys think.