R.A.M.P.S. party

Jeff Wexler

I had a really good time at our annual R.A.M.P.S. get together Tuesday night. Arrangements were made this time for us to be at Dragonfly which is connected to Firefly's but indoors. There was plenty of room although the turn out was lighter than usual (maybe because people were worried about lack of space which turned out not to be a problem). There was lots of good food and drink, good talk, and we all missed Eric Toline (didn't make it to Las Vegas this year) but Ty Ford cheerfully accepted the duties of Master of Ceremonies for door prize giveaways and was entertaining as always. The manufacturers were particularly generous this year and there were lots of great prizes given out. Everyone put in their $20. but we still went over a bit, and Larry Fisher of Lectrosonics, always the most gracious, paid the difference.

It was great to see all the people I only get to see once a year and all in all it was a really nice event.

Long live R.A.M.P.S.!

-  Jeff Wexler

I would like to thank all who attended. This was my first R.A.M.P.S. party and it won't be my last. Everyone made me feel very welcome. Next year I will be adding to the door prize booty.

Thanks again to all for making me feel very welcome.

David W White

D.W. Sound Service

www.dwsoundservice.com

BTW, this was my first NAB. And to say that it was a little Overwhelming might be a small understatement. Next year I will have to plan for more time at the convention center.

We missed you Phil but I figured you had started a job since you were talking about having completed your new sound cart and putting it to work. I guess it is good that quite a few people managed to get back to work after the strike settlement --- I was pleased that I didn't have a job so I was able to get to NAB. Now, after NAB, after the r.a.m.p.s. get together, I am home and not so pleased to not be working. Hopefully something will come along.

How is your new cart working out?

-  Jeff Wexler

Hi Jeff.  I got a chance to scope out Phil's cart yesterday when I stopped by to say "hello".  Rock solid and impeccably organized, of course.  The layout is so clean, coherent, and straightforward.  He's also put the rear rack rails to good use (UMC-16B, Comtek base station, Hosa patchbay) which balances the weight and frees up real estate on the front of the cart.  The real key to the stability is Brett Grant-Grierson's awesome base design (and execution) and the duallie wheels.  Hmmm...sounds like I like the cart!!  Can't lie; It's about my favorite design for a full-on, need-a-truck-to-move-it cart.

I'm also bummed I missed NAB and the RAMPS party, but thrilled with the job I got and the chance to test drive some new gear and a new workflow.  Hope to see you all next year.

PG