Rycote Invision Suspension INV-7: First Impressions

Chris Durfy

I received my Invision INV-7 for testing from Rycote yesterday. It is intended as a suspension for static or boomed medium sized mics.

My impression is that the Invision series is mostly being introduced by Rycote to service the new compact mics from Sennheiser and Schoeps with some overlap into medium sized mics.

The Invision comes in 8 sizes. The first three are designated as not for boompole use, but rather for static mounts only. The others are listed as appropriate for use while booming.

I used it today for a corporate gig. It took the place of my K-Tek K-SM Mount for my Schoeps MK41 w/ Cut-1 & GVC.

It’s “Lyre” clip system is a directly related to the S-Series Suspension, which is quite different from the K-SM’s rubber mount system. It is light weight and has a similar profile to the K-SM. It has a retention clip at the base of the mount to secure a XLR which the K-SM lacks. Where the K-SM has a lever to lock the angle of the suspension, the INV has a smaller thumbscrew.

It has similar overall shape, but the clips on the INV-7 have a much thinner profile.

During an interview, the “fixed” INV-7 behaved the same as the K-SM. I used it on K-Tek Avalon KE-100CC with the Ambient Quick Release Adapter attached to a fish pole holder on a C-Stand.

While actively booming I did notice two important things:

1) The INV-7 did reduce the boom handling noise over the stiff rubber boots of the K-SM substantially. Good!

2) However… The AC stated it perfectly as he said, “Whoa! Wobbly boom”, referring to the looseness of the suspension’s grip on the mic. It was all over the place with my Schoeps rig.

So, my first impression is that the INV-7 suspension is a good static mic mount but it needs to be carefully handled when being used to actively boom with a mic like a fully accessorized MK-41. I think the Invision system would be better utilized with smaller/lighter mics, such as the Sennheiser 80*0 series and the Schoeps CCM mics… or used only for fixed interview situations with larger-than-compact mics.

I will give the INV-7 a shot with my lighter CMIT-5U in the coming days.

> Rycote Invision Site http://www.rycote.com/products/invision/

I see that Scott Farr had a beta test model that he used with a Sennheiser 80*0 series compact which I really think is more up this products alley. (Scott, they’ve added the thumbscrew since your beta.)

> Scott’s Invision Page: http://web.mac.com/farroutpro/Sound_Mixer/InVision.html

-Chris Durfy, ATLaudio.com

My impression is that the Invision series is mostly being introduced by Rycote to service the new compact mics from Sennheiser and Schoeps with some overlap into medium sized mics.

Thanks for the detailed post. I saw these at NAB for the first time and they looked and sounded really good. I think you may be shortchanging them a little bit when you say they are more suited for fixed, rather than boom pole use. My brief testing at NAB convinced me that properly sized (and not necessarily the mount that they suggest) and matched to the mic you want to use, it is a very effective mount even for boom microphones.

I will post a few simple images here for others to get an idea what they look like.

-  Jeff Wexlr

post-1-130815077011_thumb.gif

post-1-130815077017_thumb.jpg

post-1-130815077023_thumb.jpg

Well, IMHO, in regards to a fully loaded MK41, the INV-7 isn't going to cut it in my opinion on a boom. It's too floppy.

I think the CMIT might fair better. I'll post my thoughts after I use it today on a gig.

I think the Invision product is very viable in other regards and if it didn't come across above, I think they'll be great with a boom for the compact mics as well as lighter offerings than my modular Schoeps rig.

-Chris

Here's a shot with the thumbscrew:

thumb_041107_INV-7_Empty.jpg

I used it today for a corporate gig. It took the place of my K-Tek K-SM Mount for my Schoeps MK41 w/ Cut-1 & GVC.

-snip-

1) The INV-7 did reduce the boom handling noise over the stiff rubber boots of the K-SM substantially. Good!

Chris,

Thanks for the information. Are you making the comparison with the K-SM based on the hard or soft mounts? I kinda like the K-SM with a Schoeps CMC_ /Cut 1/GVC/MK__ setup using the softer mounts. I think they are called K-S30. They would probably still be too hard for use with the CMIT-5U and certainly for the new Sennheiser mics. They are right on the edge of usability with the Schoeps CMC rig without a GVC and seem OK with  a Neumann KMR81i.

Best regards,

Jim

It is no good, too stiff and amps the handling noise with the MKH8000 series

I agree. I bought the K-Tek special release, soft rubber supposedly for the Senn. 8000 series and it is useless. K-Tek needs to find a really soft rubber for this kind of mount to work with the new little Sennheisers.

- JW

I agree. I bought the K-Tek special release, soft rubber supposedly for the Senn. 8000 series and it is useless.

I have and tried the K-TEK mount (non-special release) and I wasn't happy with the handling noise, so I had to be extra careful with the 8040. I just received the Sennheiser shock mount designed for the 8000 series, but I don't any video/film gigs (but do have music gigs lined up until Tuesday). I'll try next week to test out the Sennheiser mount and see what my impression is of that mount.

Wayne

Hi Jim,

I must be using the "normal" one which seems hard, as I didn't even know about the softer rubber mount.

I'll be calling Trew in a bit to order =)

Thanks for the tip!

-Chris

Chris,

The "soft" ones aren't exactly soft.

My pleasure,

Jim

I agree. I bought the K-Tek special release, soft rubber supposedly for the Senn. 8000 series and it is useless. K-Tek needs to find a really soft rubber for this kind of mount to work with the new little Sennheisers.

- JW

I wonder if we are talking about the same mount? I will look up the model#

I revisited this issue today and realized the mic was put in the clips in a forward weighted and unbalanced position which was causing the sway/wobble. I tried the mount with the mic properly center balanced and it performed MUCH better.

So, that being said, I rescind the criticism. I am going to keep using it in place of my KS-M. The low handling noise and the cable clip are great.

One very minor critique: I do prefer the lever tightening screw on the K-SM over the thumbscrew. In my opinion it is easier to use.

>

> I will give the INV-7 a shot with my lighter CMIT-5U in the coming

> days.

>

I like the feel of the INV-7 with the Schoeps CMIT and a Rycote Softie Windscreen. I think it will perform well in the field.