Recording music with two computers: a studio question

seth

Not A location sound question but I know some of you work in studios.

I'm recording a studio album and thinking through best work flow. Haven't gotten an answer on other forums.

Comp A is recording Drums with Cubase and a analogue stereo track from comp B

Comp B is used as an "Ableton Instrument" and We'd like to record the automation with in those tracks.

Can't run everything on comp A because all the mic pre's are in the mixing room and can't control Ableton from there(usb controllers). Also worried Ableton and Vst's will use to many resources. Both computers are newer maxed on ram and running separate hard drives.

The Album is taking a jazz approach so overdubbing is not desirable. Also would like to avoid re-amping and Again we would like to record on Comp B encase a vst automation control is off during a performance.

We're using Motu interfaces and can clock them together or use TC but I'm wondering if this is the best workflow.

I also thought About sending a scratch track From Comp A to B for playback and then mixing desired takes down later.

I'm of the understanding I don't need to clock if I'm not connecting digitally.

Over thinking possibly? Wondering how studios are doing it these days being computers are used much more as instruments.

Thanks for ideas feedback.

The two MOTU interfaces should definitely be clocked from the same master clock or have one unit be slaved to the other, else risk drift.

I'm not knowledgable regarding the DAW features your using, but in ProTools, you would have 1 machine chase lock to the other most likely through MTC timecode. Both Ableton and Cubase are pretty advanced DAWs, so wouldn't be surprised if you could automate the transports somehow, just don't know how to go about it myself. Having the interfaces locked together is the important part, though. Sending a cue mix from 1 machine to another is a good idea for playback purposes.

I'm still looking if there is anything else out there than doing it as stated above. Trying to avoid syncing tracks later.
I found http://www.viennaensemblepro.com/ still reading, thinking...thanks for input.

And this http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/

I'm also curious about using my sound devices as the master clock. Must better than the motu's even with black lion upgrades. mmm... nevermind http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun10/articles/masterclocks.htm