New Power Distribution System from AudioRoot

VASI

AudioRoot eSMART K-ART

The AUDIOROOT eSMART K-ART is a low footprint power distribution box with a total of 16 direct DC power outputs and 4 x USB 5V ground isolated outputs. The K-ART includes 10 led illuminated power switches, a main power switch and 2 battery fuel gauges. Like it’s little brother eSMART BG-DU the K-ART is fully compatible with any type of battery ranging from 9 to 18V. When used with our eSMART Li-xxWh batteries the K-ART provides full battery informations without any calibration routine.

This product was designed for use on small to medium size location sound carts. The power distributor can be connected to 2 batteries at once. The 2 batteries will discharge simultaneously thru an integrated ideal diode. These batteries can be of any type of chemistry  (SLA, NI-MH or LI-ION) and the 2 fuel gauges provide all the informations required to monitor the batteries state of charge (voltage, current, power, etc…).

The eSMART K-ART uses internal coulomb counters and a calibration routine to measure each battery’s true capacity and display it’s remaining capacity in real time. This power distributor is also fully compatible with our full line of Li-XXwh smart batteries. When plugging an AUDIOROOT eSMART Li-xxWh battery to the K-ART the user will have access to all the battery’s information without the need to perform any type of calibration.

More informations: http://www.audioroot.fr/product/esmart-k-art/

US products at EU it's 10% - 30% more expensive (shipping costs, duties, VAT etc).

That happened and from EU to US.

I don't understand something: "The power distributor can be connected to 2 batteries at once. The 2 batteries will discharge simultaneously thru an integrated ideal diode.

You have two eC4PO-256Wh and connected to two inputs. They work one battery and if pass the threshold switched to second battery? Or you have this two batteries and work as one having total 512Wh?

US products at EU it's 10% - 30% more expensive (shipping costs, duties, VAT etc).

That happened and from EU to US.

I don't understand something: "The power distributor can be connected to 2 batteries at once. The 2 batteries will discharge simultaneously thru an integrated ideal diode.

You have two eC4PO-256Wh and connected to two inputs. They work one battery and if pass the threshold switched to second battery? Or you have this two batteries and work as one having total 512Wh?

Discharge simultaneously - both batteries will be drawn from simultaneously, at a lesser current.  An 'ideal diode' is reverse polarity protection, and stops the higher voltage battery from charging (and potentially destroying) the lower voltage battery.

the diode circuit will switch back and forth between the two connected batteries depending on who has the higher voltage, but obviously as one is being used it'll drop in voltage then the circuit will switch to the other until it drops below the voltage of the other battery… this will continue until they are both at the cutoff voltage of the battery. It will appear as if both batteries are being used simultaneously as the stored energy is used up.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, johngooch said:

Reviving this thread ...:::  my cart dc system died today.  Any further reviews of the audioroot e-smart k-art?   Looks impressive . How about access to service?

Hi John 

I have been running the k-art now for a few months and really like it. I bought it primarily as i needed a powering system without the internal lithium batteries so i could airfreight the rig. So obviously there is no charge facility in the k-art and i used it with the e-smart 98wh batts. Antoine made me a W type cable/cup lead where i could have 2 x esmart batts plus a 4 pin xlr to the external power supply all connected. The system works where the k-art will choose the higher voltage of the PSU if its over 15volts or higher than the battery. I wanted this so it would choose the PSU first so not to drain the batteries until i was not connected to AC. There are 2 x inputs so i had a Y cup/cable on the other input with 2 more smart batts. This setup means the metering is not accurate being that you have to roughly double the values such as time avail as it reads only 1 x battery. Of course if you used their larger single esmart batts then it runs as per normal. 

I really love the ability to switch off individual outputs when not in use and it has a nice dim feature where you hold the power button down and it dims the led switches. 

It is small and lite and beautifully made. I find the usb charge a little slow on iPads etc but it has a combination of XLR and hirose which i like and i had 1 output regulated to 12volts as well.

Cannot fault it but of course it has no batteries or charger.

Just a tip, i had Antoine make me a 16v PSU as i found with the 15V PSU it came with it meant the batteries drained first down to 15v before the PSU would kick in so the 16V PSU stops this happening.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Thank you Tony for your quick and detailed response.   From reading literature, i did not realize that there was no charging capability.  But that makes sense considering weight-price-size....  I really like design, the ability to turn off individual outputs, and the metering.. I prefer using a system that performs like an UPS- constantly keeping battery charged...   So not sure how this system could be adapted to supply that need....  

I am guessing this would not work....  And probably a terrible idea...........  But thought i would toss it out there..   What if i were to connect one of the newer pelican life batteries with built in chargers... Are they smart enough to leave plugged in and still output DC when needed?   Pitfalls--- interference from charger... burning out LIFE batts from over charging...  Then like your setup Tony- I would have separate AC power supply as my main source of power...  

2 hours ago, johngooch said:

I am guessing this would not work....  And probably a terrible idea...........  But thought i would toss it out there..   What if i were to connect one of the newer pelican life batteries with built in chargers... Are they smart enough to leave plugged in and still output DC when needed?   Pitfalls--- interference from charger... burning out LIFE batts from over charging...  Then like your setup Tony- I would have separate AC power supply as my main source of power...  

Yes John that is right, i just trawled through my old emails with Antoine and yes he says the large 576wh batt in a pelican case can be charged simultaneously while used with the k-art. The charger is still seperate? maybe there is a new one out with built in charger?

I think this is a good cart option and that is my end goal to complete the system. The reason i went for the 98wh setup was because i could air freight them, it resolved my problem of working overseas. But the 576wh would be best for home based work, also way less cable and bulk and the metering will be accurate.

Tony

3 minutes ago, johngooch said:

I was looking at the PSC or Remote Audio pelican LIFE batteries with chargers built in.  Separate ports for charging and DC output.   

Ok sure but do they have the e-smart technology which is central to the k-art metering and battery monitoring features?

I am sure that Antoine would make their li-ion battery in a bigger pelican with charger if you asked.

they are a fantastic company always wanting to make things better and lots of custom options for your needs.

Tony