Denecke slate keeps rolling TC after clap

syncsound

That's a great mod, RVD! I had no idea that existed. They should all be that way these days. The number of times I see ACs hit sticks before the camera is fully rolling (or at least before the REC is solid), etc., I imagine that mod would be useful.

Even in the film days, sticks would often be hit early, before the cameras were as speed.

But I have had the sensor go bad on my slates. It's not the magnet, but the sensor. It starts as an intermittent problem.

When the sticks close, they activate a "Hall" switch that changes over the display from SMPTE code to the USER Bits. (Actually, I guess the user bits are also part of the SMPTE code.)

Freezing the SMPTE code and holding the numbers for a few frames for ease in reading the display was part of the original design. All of the slates freeze and hold the display for about three frames. I think the exact number of frames may have changed over the years but it's always been frozen for a few. But, the standard model only freezes the display for a few frames, not the two seconds of the Ledford mod.

The Hall switches fail from time to time. Sometimes you can restore function by banging the sticks really hard. You can really put all your strength into whacking them to get the Hall switch working again. (Always assuming that you are not Arnold Schwartzenegger at the height of his fitness) This will often restore function for a considerable period of time but a failing Hall switch will eventually need to be replaced. It's not a difficult or expensive service but the slate does need to go to a service bench.

David

" only freezes the display for a few frames, not the two seconds of the Ledford mod. "

the Ledford mod does not "freeze" the TC, but allows it to keep rolling for a few extra seconds...

I always thought the 'freeze' was one (extra) frame, as if it were multiple frames, it could end up confusing editorial by a frame or two...

for specifics, and exact, correct information: <old cap>

" restore function for a considerable period... "

which allows alert folks to get it serviced before it fails completely, for good...

Yes, the problem does indeed seem to be a faulty Hall Effect Sensor (a magnetic switch). Sometimes clapping the sticks fairly hard brings the sensor back to life. Of course this is a temporary fix. The slate needs to be sent in for repair. If the slate is new and under the warranty period, then we'll repair it at no cost. I hope this helps.

The "Ledford Mod" has only been done on TS-2SB slates. However it should be possible to change the firmware to enable the mod on TS-3 and TS-C.

I found out about this mod, when I worked for Paul Ledford on "Ocean's 12,"  Paul had come up with the idea, to help telecine folks "see" the essential time code longer, and the non-essential user bits, for a shorter length of time.

Yes, the "Ledford Mod" helped dailies colorist Ed Twiford quite a bit when he worked on Ocean's 12 at Technicolor/Hollywood. I filled in for Ed a few times and was amazed by how much that helped us, especially when the AC was doing A&B cameras and one camera was out of focus os misframed prior to the clap. Two more seconds of moving numbers did help us with film dailies.

I'm not sure if this is as much of a factor in an all-digital world, but it's not a big deal. I'm not sure how many people actually use the User Bits in that way, though I continue to keep my TS-3's in the regular mode.

I do agree that the only real fix when the magnetic switches fail is to send the slate back to the mothership for repair.