"New" HD Rates for NBC News

David Settlemoir

NBC has raised their rental rates for an HD Camera package (from $650 for SD to $1000 per day for HD) - but the audio rental rates have remained the same ($75.) 

I usually work through a production company that rents their gear to the network, but when NBC or ABC (also $75 a day) call me direct to work with my audio gear I am inclined to pass.  It seems they are catering to camera owners w/audio gear.

(From an NBC email to Free-lancers via B-Roll.net): 

Basic Audio Package: $75

4 channel mixer

3 wireless microphone systems (including mics)

(This is a 3-part system consisting of mic, receiver, and transmitter)

3 handheld microphones: 1 omni, 1 cardioid, 1 noise canceling

Assorted mic stands and accessories

1 shotgun mic

Boom pole including shockmounts and windscreen

Assorted mic cables, various audio filters, audio line adapters, turnarounds

Headset

Standard audio cassette recorder for transcriptions

2 touchtone phones

Minimum 2 IFB Amps each w/Telex earpiece,cord,and transducer

1 camera P/L set up

Additional Audio-Related Billable Items:

A –1 Wireless mics over 2 (a 3 part system) $30

A –2 Gentner or comparable telephone interface $30

A –3 6 output split $10

A –4 Transformer isolated audio splitters $10

A –5 Comtek wireless headphone feed $30

A –6 Powered headphone amplifier (hardwire) $15

A –7 Fostex amplified speaker (or comparable) $15

A –8 Additional mixer – Intellemixer (voice activated) $35

A –9 Additional lavaliere or PZM desk mic $15

A –10 Additional shotgun mic / lip mic $25

A –11 IFB Amps w/ Telex earpiece,cord and transducer $10

A –12 Audio telephone interface/transcriptions $25

A –13 DAT recorder $25

A –14 Audio Distribution Amplifier $25

A –15 Other special request items NEGOTIABLE*

*Items will be negotiated between booking office and crew before shoot (i.e. 14, or more input mixer, etc.)

David Settlemoir

Yes I know it is shocking and when I do news I just use my shooters audio package which is similar to mine. for what they pay it isn't worth me risking my gear. But with what they pay per hour it is still worth it for me to do audio

What is the day rate for a soundperson?

Eric

Hi Scott,

NBC is not exactly the same as ABC.   One thing that is not clear is that NBC writes in their new basic kit list that they require 3 wireless but in their additional billable items list they say they will pay $30 for any wireless over 2.  So it is not clear if they are expecting 3 wireless in the basic kit or 2.  Obvioulsy one of them is a typo.  Also ABC's pays $40 ($10 more) for extra wireless over 2.  NBC is now requiring a PL headset setup and ABC does not.  Usually the SAT truck provides that stuff.  Also ABC pays $50 for wireless IFB while NBC is $30.   NBC is now requiring 2 IFB amps in the basic kit and ABC pays for them as extras at $15 a piece.  Also ABC pays $50 for phone interface while NBC is $30.  NBC is paying $25 for a DAT as an extra and ABC pays $30.  Although I have never used a DAT recorder for ABC I do charge them the DAT rental price of $30 when I record Transcription onto my Marantz Digital Flashcard Recorder.  Lastly NBC pays $25 for an Audio distribution amplifier while ABC pays $35.

I think those are all of the differences I can see at this point between ABC and NBC.  Either way the rental money sucks with ABC paying a little better on the extras and what they expect in the basic kit.

As far as salary this year ABC is paying $354.50 for 8 hours which is up about $10 from last year.  CBS is $424.17 for 8 hours.  I haven't worked for NBC this year so I don't know what their 8 hour rate is.

Andy

I will also note that NBC prefers one man band operations if they can!  The majority of my work is network news and I'm worried about how I'm going to make a living because of all the cutbacks.  The DV clause is allowing producers to shoot as one man crews as well.  The rates have always sucked for the gear and they just keep more audio gear to the list.  3 wireless mics is a joke.  ABC has been good to me because of the Ohio & PA election coverage, but after tomorrow it will all go away !

It is an hourly rate and your guaranteed 8 hours minimum and they have different hourly rates for each of the three shifts, you can check with NABET-CWA for the current agreement.

Terrific, you answered the question with out providing a specific answer. Maybe you should be a politician.

Eric

I will 2nd what Rob says about NBC and the one man band in the last year my shooter has been doing alot of stuff that they use to book me on too and he doesn't like it anymore than I do.  Paula Dean and her sons account for a good chunk of my monthly income too. They are on either NBC, MSNBC and CNBC at least 4 times a month from here. But CNBC usually hires Crawford media who hires us and then the rate is much lower and not NABET rates at all

i have yet to meet a mixer or camera op(that has his own audio) that has ever met all the requirements for the audio package. I'v worked a few times with staffers and i dont think they are sent out with these "complete" packages(i didnt go through their kits... but i didnt see all that)

Most of the staffers have FP33's and 2 RF's.  I see IFB gear but not 2 touchtone phones, not many carry a lip mic cause the Sat trucks have them. I had to show a CBS staffer how to use 411's a camera hops yesterday at a Clinton Rally.    If we think this is bad, CNN's live correspondent shots are a one man crew with a large storm case full of gear.  The mic is plugged into the SX camera is is feeding the truck via 5 pin line out on the camera.  One guy has to set that all up himself.  The news business has gone to hell in a hand basket.  ABC has cut back, Universal is looking to dump NBC after the Olympics and rumors are that CBS News is virtually going away, along with Katie Kouric after the Nov. election.  They will just regurgitate CNN's stories.  (All speculation, but it came from a staffers mouth on the campaign)

Graham, 

Most of the Freelance cameramen that I know here in the East who work often for the networks either have all of the gear that is required in the Network basic kit or hire a soundman that does.  Maybe the sound guy or the cameraman might not have all 3 of the handheld mics they ask for but rarely is that needed.  Now the condition or the quality of the cameraman’s gear is a whole other thing.  I personally would never use or trust a cameraman’s gear and have always used my own. 

I am most familiar with ABC and what the staffers have available to them is quite extensive.  They cameramen or soundman staffers carry or have access to everything that is on ABC’s gear list and much more.  ABC  has SD 442s, lectro 411s, Schoeps as part of their basic kit plus all of the other stuff on the list.  The staffers also either carry with them or have access to everything on the additional gear list.  The networks have cages full of gear that can be used on a shoot. The sound freelancers that I know that work a lot for the networks including myself have everything they ask for on the basic gear list and usually most of the additional billable sound gear.  Maybe not a DA.  I want to be able to bill for as many extras as I can plus it makes me more valuable to the shoot.

I am sure that NBC and CBS staffers audio kits also have everything that is required on the basic and additional lists.  Although as Rob Lewis indicates those staffers might not know how to use it.  CNN is a different story.  They seem to have crap for gear.

The basic audio kit that the networks ask us to provide is the minimal amount of gear that we as soundman should have in our kits for almost any kind of shoot we do not just network news work.

Andy

hey andy,

I worked ABC and NBC for years in NY. I never saw a camera ops package having more than one stick mic and never more than one phone. yes the staffers have access to all the gear and more, but like I said, I never went through their gear to see what was brought :) As for cam ops hiring sound mixers with gear, yes they are much better equipped. In fact, I know some mixers bring paintboxes and vectroscopes and charge extra for multi cam shoots. I know its knit picking but I have never met anyone that had the 3 stick mics( and I know fp33s and even 32s are being used by more than a few cam ops)