Best lightweight 2RU drawers

NEBTEK

Welcome!

There are only two companies that I know of that produce aluminum rackmount drawers: Rackman and StarCase

I owned several StarCase drawers when they were the only choice. Richard Lightstone discovered Rackman (local to Los Angeles) that made really nice MidAtlantic-style rack drawers, shelves, etc. but they did not do aluminum. After several discussions, we convinced them to build aluminum drawers (and I assured them they would have lots of customers with our sound people). There are many of us who now own lots of Rackman aluminum drawers and they have held up pretty well --- not as rugged as MidAtlantic-style steel (at over twice the weight) but just about as rugged as StarCase (with several improvements over the StarCase drawers).

+1 for Rackman, I also went that route, via Jeff's recommendation. If there is any customizing you'd like done, they typically will do it for you also. I had several Custom drawers made, and they were very accommodating, and do great work.

They do not have the aluminum drawers listed on their site. Contact Terry@rackman for quotes. I believe the 2U run around $144.

+1 for Rackman, I also went that route, via Jeff's recommendation. If there is any customizing you'd like done, they typically will do it for you also. I had several Custom drawers made, and they were very accommodating, and do great work.

They do not have the aluminum drawers listed on their site. Contact Terry@rackman for quotes. I believe the 2U run around $144.

I've just paid 65UK pounds including shipping for a 2U aluminium one from Adam Hall.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

I bought a few of the Adam Hall drawers. I needed them for my follow cart sooner than Rackman could do their first run. But adding the shipping from Europe to the sale price made it a pretty expensive purchase. That was over two years ago and the drawers are still working great. If I remember correctly, I think I wasn't having any luck with a US distributor and ending up going straight to Adam Hall. 

If I were to do another cart now, I'd hope to use the Rackman drawers. I'm assuming the build quality will be similar but the shipping should be a lot cheaper. I'm hoping Rackman always has some in stock and doesn't need to wait for a special batch for our niche community. 

Josh

I don't think Rackman stocks aluminum. But they make them right there in Sylmar, so turnaround is pretty quick. I got some of the very first aluminum drawers, which was problematic. When put together in a rack, the fold under the front of the drawer rubbed against the drawer below causing them to stick. They had used slightly thicker metal to improve strength, but didn't compensate for it in the size of the drawer.

They took them back, shaved them down, repowdercoated them, and they are much better. They are custom length too, which is great. Extra 3" of drawer is very helpful.