How reliable is the Schoeps CMC6 MK41 in Hong Kong weather...

Bernierao

Hi everyone.

I was wondering how reliable a Schoeps CMC6 with the MK41 capsule would be in a place like Hong Kong?

I'm sure some of you have been there working and know the climate but for those who haven't... it's pretty humid and there is a lot of moisture everywhere, all the time.

I'll be capturing sound for an independent feature film to be shot in Macao (across the river from Hong Kong) and I need to get a super/hyper for lots of interior dialogue scenes. Renting is not really practical because we'll be shooting for a month. And I rather just invest in a good microphone for future productions.

I don't have any experience with this microphone and I've been reading here that it can have problems with moisture. But I'd like to know just how bad the moisture has to be to really affect the microphone.

I'm only asking because I have someone who has a used schoeps cmc6 mk41 for sale with a cut 1 filter here in Portugal and I'm tempted to take the plunge but I don't want to plunge into a sea of problems.

I would get an mkh50 but suddenly the prices on the 50 went up to 1900 euros here  and the 8050 is sold out everywhere.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Hi, and welcome...

In the many discussions of Schoeps and Sennheiser microphones here, on jwsoundgroup.net, the Senn's have consistently been referred to as more rugged & reliable, and Schoeps are reported to have humidity issues, though all of this is anecdotal, with no specific measurements involved.

It also seems most folks have a back-up plan in case of issues.

Edited by studiomprd

I encountered difficulty on a few occasions when booming with a CMC541. Most mixers had extras, so we just swapped it out with another.

You can't go wrong with MKH50, although some will point out the off axis is less smooth than that of the schoeps.

It's wise to have backups. I think a 50 and a 416 would get you through over 99% of all situations without too much trouble.

Thanks a lot guys! Unfortunately the Schoeps option is out of the way now... It was sold one hour ago -- just when I had finally made up my mind about buying it. ...The pain....

... I think you're right and it's wise to have a back up plan anyway so I prefer to go with something that in theory will work every time, everywhere - I think that's probably the mkh 50. I may get an used akg ck93 as a backup for the 50.

The only shotgun I have right now is the Rode NTG 2 and I actually shot 2 feature films with it. Interiors/exteriors/inside cars/foley/sfx.... But It really sounds a bit boring.  I got an SD 702t and the sound got a bit better but still not good enough.

Regarding getting a 416....

I worked as a boom op in TV soap operas and we had 416's. I would get one today If I hadn't been traumatized by the screaming voice of the sound mixer dude through my headphones "YOU'RE OFF AXIS! GET THE MIC THERE! I CAN'T HEAR S***T! He was a cool dude but a bit to impatient with his crappy boom operators.

So I guess I'll just make my life easier and get a more forgiving shotgun for exteriors like the mkh 60 or the 8060.

Thanks again!

So I take it Hong Kong is never noisy? <g> If you do much exterior work, you will be thankful to also have a more directional mic available in your kit.

As a novice boom op you found the 416 too directional for your skill level at the time. I suggest matching the skill of the boom op to the mic, not the other way around.

Well, i can report that I have cmc6 and mk41, and on a rainy day in England, the mic started sputtering as soon as we moved indoors, having spent some time outside. So it can, and does, happen to some of them in damp conditions with the possibility of condensation. Never happened to my 50 or 60.

I've decided to invest on the mkh 50 for this gig because I'll use it in the future in my own productions.

Noise in Macau will be a problem so it might be a good idea to get a more directional mic like the 416 on ebay

--- *thanks John*.

I got a bit suspicious about used 416's though after reading here about the fake chinese 416's...

This AKG ULS looks like a sweet deal as well. If I was in the US I think I would go for it.

I have solved the problem of humidity with my Schoeps CMC5U MK41...once you have it going cleanly,never pull it apart...I have the CMC5U and a GVC swivel on the MK41...

BUT the main problem is not always with the mic capsule but what you put over it as protection from popping or wind.

The acoustifoam is the main culprit as I have discovered over a long period of time. It tends to absorb moisture and hold it...

We have all found that by taking off the foam pop filter when the capsule starts to splutter that the capsule settles when you move it around in free air......put it back on and away it goes again.

I thought about this and came to the conclusion that something else was needed that had been designed to keep moisture and dirt away from a surface...the answer is medical.

For $11 local currency I bought a Dr Scholls toe protector which fits nicely over an MK 41 and used an "O" ring to hold it snugly in place.

It is designed to keep moisture and dirt away from an injured toe but it is also acoustically transparent. It has a courser foam than a teardrop pop filter and this is the key to it not holding moisture.

I change the toe protector every few months and at $11 it's good value.

http://www.fortiscdoc.com/shop/gallery/1525763435_IMG_0888.jpg

Brian

There is no way to waterproof the Schopes? A similar system to that used by Simon Hayes on the set of the Miserables?

Sergio

Haven't tried it myself, but I've read that mixers have had success at recording underwater, or as you call it, "waterproofing" microphones (tread with caution), by wrapping them with non-lubricated latex condoms, or even those long balloons (the kind that clowns use to shape into animals and whatnot).

You would obviously have to seal the condom or balloon at the end of the XLR connector to avoid water entering. If you are set on trying this, I would also do it first with an inexpensive microphone that will not hurt your pockets (or soul) as much (think Rode NTG1), as opposed to a CMIT 5U, that would set you back $2K+.

There is no way to waterproof the Schopes? A similar system to that used by Simon Hayes on the set of the Miserables?

Sergio

Why only similar? Something not working for you with what he used? If it's only rain you're talking about and not submerging the mic, then I highly recommend the Remote Audio Rainman

For me... Humidity issues with mics seem to be a bit of a cumulative thing. I've working in humid rainforests for days on end and had humidity issues - even with a 416.

If you're shooting in Hong Kong and retiring to a nice air conditioned hotel in the evening... You might be OK with the MK41, but as many others have already said - have a backup ready.

R

Be aware that the popular tendency is to compare the Schoeps cmc6k41 with a SennMKH50, and then complain that the latter has less forgiving off axis rejection. Actually, the closer fit to the Schoeps is the Senn MKH40. You will find that the rejection is very similar.