Soundfield Mic

bonobo

Does anyone use one? I was thinking of trying one out on location in Monaco for a vintage car (very loud no doubt) rally, but wanted to hear some thoughts or experiences on this.

I will be taking other kit to record the cars separately, but wanted to try the soundfield for the more 'ambient' set ups...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Rob.

I have a Soundfield ST350 which I love to bits.

They can be a bit quirky with condensation but as I understand it they have built in heater that sorts it out. Rule of thumb seems to be to turn it on a while before you might need to use it. I have had no trouble with it so far on jobs. It needs a dead good suspension - I have a much modded Rycote that works brilliantly.

Soundfield do a nifty program, I think it is called Surround Zone,  that works as a plugin with PT or SADiE (or I think Nuendo). It is really cool and allows you to decode the WXYZ signals into 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 etc...

Kindest regards,

Simon B

Ah yes - I forgot to give you that info.

Truth is that about 2 years ago. for one reason or another,  I was due to treat myself to a present. That present became a SADiE LRX multitrack recorder, and a Soundfield ST350 mic.

Have I used the Soundfield for proper grown up, paid for sound recording - not once!!

I have, however, managed to hire it out a few times, so at least it pays to insure itsself!!

As regards post - a pal used it recently to do a load of FX in a police car for one of those ghastly 'Police Bad Driver Weekly' shows that he does the audio post for. He shot WXYZ with my Soundfield, but found a free decoder/matrixer/whateveryoucalliter plugin online. They are out there - see your friend Google...

Kindest regards,

Simon B

I have a Soundfield ST350 which I love to bits.

I'm curious, would you take this out to the field? I could see using one in a studio, auditorium, or even outdoors to do surround sound environmental recordings, but I'm not sure based on what I know about the SoundField line that I would try to use one at a car rally. The mic seems like it's a bit too susceptible to damage in the field for that. Maybe I'm over paranoid???

Wayne

My plan is to have the soundfield on a stand, and only pull it out when I think it's worth it. Also, I'll be renting it, not that that means I won't be taking care of it, but will be a bit less reluctant to keep it in the van...

It comes with a full rycote suspension, I will be going into a 744t which I believe has a soundfield monitoring matrix? I'm going in next week to have a look at it all anyway, will let you know how I get on with it if I use it.

The hire company have built a small box to before the 744t with adjustable pad settings, as he said the mic level out from the soundfield is quite 'hot' and needs some attenuation in certain situations. I think the one I'm using it in will be such a situation.