Sun Baking Cables

Nate C

Recently I was asked how I kept my cables in such good condition.

Simply by rolling and storing them well and a little TLC. They need to be cleaned every now and again. Over time they get out of shape due to use,storage etc and a little time in the sun helps cables regain their shape for that nice and easy roll. 

This will be obvious stuff to most, but I have been asked enough times to realise some folks have never thought to sun bake their cables.

Oh and when you get a new cable that has come fresh off a drum, lay out to sun bake, roll over under, sun bake as a roll, unroll and lay out, sun bake, roll... repeat cycle over a couple of days if possible and the cable will be trained.

post-2000-0-78313300-1378431535_thumb.jp

I have always done the "sun bake" with new raw cable off a drum --- not really the full on baking routine that you mention, but laying it all out in the sun, coiling it up (over-under of course) then laying out again a few times letting it sit and get a little toasty. Works like a charm and puts the cable well on the way to proper training.

and what do we do over here where we barely know what the sun looks like?

Justin, i hope you are draining those excess sounds into a bucket or suitable container, otherwise they will get absorbed into the ground, and may re-appear should it ever rain.

Rich treat them to a day at a solarium.

I don't have any trees to hang them in. Would hang them off the balcony but I am afraid the uni kids in the apartment below me would use them for a tarzan swing.

I frequently put cables in the oven on a cookie sheet at 170-180 degrees F. i rarely leave them in for longer than 20-30 minutes.

Tom

and what do we do over here where we barely know what the sun looks like?

Find a tanning salon with a sun bed. You should have them in the UK, although they might use a different name for "sun" as you folks are so unfamiliar with the concept. Maybe they call them "Big-Diffused-Light-Source" beds over there.