Protools - Easy Solve

User7395056

Video editor looking to do a passable cleanup on an audio track only for the purpose of handing in a rough.  They gave me horrible audio, with noise and the mic was probably laying on the ground in a corner, def not where it was supposed to be.

I'll launch Protools and see if I can give myself a refresher.  Bad audio is bad audio, but I wanted to see if anyone can recommend a plug-in or two that I should focus my time on as I dig around in there to try to give it a little bump.

Not looking to take up too much of anyone's time, would appreciate any recommendations on a plug-in I should try.

Please be polite.  I don't have time to search the boards here to try to understand the technical mambo jambo listed in most of these posts.  I'm a typical video guy who doesn't have the years of post audio experience that you do.  So when we're talking plug-ins, you're already over my head.  Not exactly, but you get my point.  Skill level 0, this guy right here.  

Can anyone recommend a plug-in that I can research and start to try out?  Thank you.

"   I don't have time to search the boards here to try to understand the technical mambo jambo listed in most of these posts. "

Mirror took the words right off of my fingers...

and

"There is no magic plug-in to fix bad sound. "

sorry...

just leave it for the appropriate  person(s) who will have the time and / or experience

" easy solve " = NOPE

" Video editor looking... "

how does it look ..?

what was it shot on..?

does it cut together ..?

you have enough to do...

" Bad audio is bad audio, "

correct...

you already know (remember) that this comes from poor pre-production and production planning, and bad production decisions were probably involved. (like: who was listening through the recording device's headphones ?)

as video editor:your best option is: hands off!

" Manglethronger to 4, " + " the mic was probably laying on the ground in a corner, def not where it was supposed to be. "

this one may need to go to 5.7

Edited by studiomprd

Guys, I said be polite.  Cross over into video editing in AVID, Premier, FCP, or any compositing application and I'm sure there is a learning curve for you as well, I've got those covered.  I'd help you if you had a question on the video side, not tell you to use the "GanGbuster27-niner" filter, then laugh at how clever I was was while being self-righteously pissed off about redundant newbie posts.  

I'm willing to go into PT and figure it out and I know I'll have to spend a lot of time working with these tools to find what sounds right for this project (for a rough delivery as I mentioned).  All I asked for was a plug-in or two that could point me in the right direction.  No magic fix.  

The sound has noise in it because it wasn't captured correctly on set.  As editors, we get this crap all the time.  I didn't record it and a pro audio guy will get to dive into it after me, I would just like for the Producer to hear it more clearly if possible so we can focus on the story and lock picture.

I'm taking the time out to learn how to improve it and to ask questions, why would you jump all over someone who wants to learn?  I could spend years in PT and not be great at it... in this instance, I want to take some time to try to finesse it, and see how I can improve it, not check every single plug-in included in PT to figure it out if possible.  Hence, point me in the right direction.  So, just looking for those plug-in recommendations, like "vin" suggested above.  Thank you.

As editors, we get this crap all the time. "

and

" like for the Producer to hear it more clearly if possible "

I think we have been restrained,  but frankly, the producer needs to hear, and deal with the awful truth that resulted from their, well, being polite, I'll just say: er, lack of experience.

maybe you would agree that this producer mussed out by not having had the Production Sound Class you had!

Not listening (obviously) to the audio being recorded is a huge, glaring,  fundamental well, er, mistake... (No matter what camera was used.)

this will require Time Effort and Money to correct, if it is possible at all...

Experience keeps a dear school, but some will learn from no other...

OTOH, if you would like to learn more and become a sound editor... let us know!

PS, please join my campaign to make a Production Sound class a requirement for all movie school students!

Edited by studiomprd

don't get these guys wrong, but if you are a complete starter on PT, even my suggestion(s) will not be easy. 

you need to configure I/O, create new tracks, import audio, know how to select stuff, invoke the plugin as an insert, loop some audio, check on initial possible settings in the plugin, tweak audio, bounce track with plugin, etc etc etc. do you think you want to do all this by yourself, and with a suggestion or two about what plugin to use? 

and i did suggest you get help... 

>>why would you jump all over someone who wants to learn?  I could spend years in PT and not be great at it... >>

wanting to learn is one thing, but asking for 'easy solve' is another... 

secondly, if you spent years on PT and not be great at it, then you are - mediocre at this so you should look for something else to do. what else can i say?

Brentoncov

The audio you describe can not be fixed easily. Dicking around with a few plug ins by someone who had no idea how to manipulate them will only make it worse. Hire someone who can give you an honest evaluation of the audio or who can take an honest stab at cleaning it up. That alone is the "easy solve"

Guys, I said be polite. Cross over into video editing in AVID, Premier, FCP, or any compositing application and I'm sure there is a learning curve for you as well, I've got those covered. I'd help you if you had a question on the video side, not tell you to use the "GanGbuster27-niner" filter, then laugh at how clever I was was while being self-righteously pissed off about redundant newbie posts.

I'm taking the time out to learn how to improve it and to ask questions, why would you jump all over someone who wants to learn?

1- You can't enter a room, be rude, and then ask that the response be polite.

2- I promise to never enter a FCP forum and say that my footage was shot wih actors out of frame, and ask to be taught how to re-frame my footage with a plug-in.

3- You're not trying to learn, you're passing on your productions unrealistic expectations in a place populated by professionals who already have to deal with that by people who pay them.

deal with it

the "easy solve" boat has left! 

that boat sailed before you got aboard the project...

"easy solve" would have been getting it right in production...

which would have been possible with proper attention and planning in pre-production,

and maybe even earlier back: taking the elective "Production Sound" class...

" That alone is the "easy solve" "

which will not be easy, and will require quantities of time, effort, and $$$

...and I don't believe Brent was rude to us, here....

Edited by studiomprd

Please be polite.  I don't have time to search the boards here to try to understand the technical mambo jambo listed in most of these posts.  I'm a typical video guy who doesn't have the years of post audio experience that you do.  So when we're talking plug-ins, you're already over my head.  Not exactly, but you get my point.  Skill level 0, this guy right here.  

I'm willing to go into PT and figure it out and I know I'll have to spend a lot of time working with these tools to find what sounds right for this project (for a rough delivery as I mentioned).  All I asked for was a plug-in or two that could point me in the right direction.  No magic fix.  

I'm taking the time out to learn how to improve it and to ask questions, why would you jump all over someone who wants to learn?  

So you don't have a lot of time to learn the "mumbo jumbo" needed to work the program, but then you know it will take a lot of time to learn the program...

Point is you came to a professional sound forum, asking us to walk you step by step through a specific task with a specific program without even pretending to have done any learning on your own.  I charge $50 - $125/hour, if you like i will walk you through the process of noise reduction for an agreeable rate.

My info is on my site linked in my signature.

If you had done a simple web search you would know that this is a much better place to post this question.

http://duc.avid.com/

or

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/post-production-forum/

Brb, going to bmcuser to ask how to fix an improperly white balanced video.

When was I rude?

"Please be polite.  I don't have time to search the boards here to try to understand the technical mambo jambo listed in most of these posts."

The "please be polite" is an admission, I believe, that you fully expected to get answers that you would not understand. When you did get answers that you did not understand, you were critical of those who took the time to suggest plug-ins even in the face of the fact that you said you barely understood the use of plug-ins! I think your use of the word "polite" is mis-placed. Bottom line, I don't believe there is anyone on this site, even the seasoned professionals, who will be able to help you with a simple solution to an all too common problem of bad production sound.

Additionally, I believe our discourse here is referred to as Mumbo Jumbo, not mambo jambo, and if you are not willing to take the time to search the site (and possibly learn something from all this mambo jambo) then you're probably spending your time in the wrong place.

Hi,

Whatever happens, please let your director and producer know how horrendous the production sound is.  So bad, in fact, that you can't even hear it well enough to edit your story.  Perhaps it will be a lesson to the producer and director to consider hiring a proper sound mixer who won't ruin their movie and waste all of their time and effort. Without a little honesty from you, they'll likely make the same mistake again.

Just curious... how does it look?  Did they spend money on a fancy camera?

I promise, that if you can't edit with the sound you've been given, the professional sound team you are handing the movie off to is not going to be able to make it any good either.

If I knew anything about PT plugins, I'd gladly give you some advice other than the above.  But even with the right plugins, I don't believe you'd even be able to get usable results.

Robert

Although I'm sure this isn't a serious question...  Try Davinci Resolve or RG Colorista.  There is a simple highlight recovery tool you can use to get started.  RG Colorista is a plugin you would need for AVID, Resolve has a free download on their site for the base model of their software.  If you shot it with a Red Epic or similar camera you should be able to adjust your ISO in several programs that will allow you to change camera settings after the footage has been recorded.  Hence why there is such a huge file size in the first place, because it records everything.  Unless you're going to rotoscope the highlights and adjust them separately, you are going to lose your exposure on your subject as you bring your highlights down.  Most likely, you have clipped your highlights and they are non-recoverable because there is no data past it's maximum brightness threshold.  If this was a serious question, I'd look into one of those two solutions mentioned above and start with highlight recovery, and ISO settings.  Good luck.