NP style batteries

Tony Johnson

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

Zack, while we are at it, there is another piece of kit that many of us are possibly waiting in vain for. A compact 4 bay lithium np-1 charger I believe would be a good seller. On a daily basis, I need to put 4 batts on charge at the end of thr day. Is there 4 bay charger presently on the drawing board?

I have three makes of NP-1. Hawk-Woods, Swit and DSM. All three are charged in a Hawk-Woods 4 bay charger.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Hey Everyone!

Where would you like the power status LEDs positioned on an NP battery? If there was a power tap on the battery, where would you want it (top, left/right side, front/back face)?

Thanks!

-Zack

Hi Zack,

Thanks for asking. I think i would also vote for both on top. Ptap will be a welcome addition.

Any comments from the gang re: NP 0.5's?

• 1 month later...
If you have the simultaneous KL-4 charger, it will take 210 min for 4 batteries. If you have the sequential version, it will take 840min. -Zack
Just to confirm, what are the differences between the kl-4 version's. Were there more than two different builds? Which of these simultaneously charges? post-1410-138941756006.jpgpost-1410-138941757541.jpg

Hi fieldmixer,

I need to retract my statement regarding the charge time of the “simultaneous” KL-4. The 210 min charge time is incorrect. I’ll explain by going over each model’s functions:

There were 3 models within the KL-4 series:

KL-4 (has SIM and SEQ switch on the back): this is the first generation KL-4 charger with a SIM and SEQ switch on the back. When in SEQ mode, the charger will charge one battery at a time. The LED will only emit on the channel that is charging. When in SIM mode, the charger will charge one battery at a time and have the other channels in standby. As soon as the first battery is close to full charge, the charger will start charging the next battery. SIM mode basically semi-simultaneous; it doesn’t charge all the channels at the same time but there is simultaneous charging going on when batteries are near full.   

KL-4 (FPC): same method as the SIM mode, just more efficient.

KL-4Plus: same as FPC with 4pin xlr DC output.

It will take approximately 10 hours to fully charge 4 batteries on the KL-4 series chargers.

Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks!

Just to confirm, what are the differences between the kl-4 version's. Were there more than two different builds? Which of these simultaneously charges? attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1389417556.898735.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1389417574.496987.jpg

So how does the current JL-2plus charger compare to the KL-4 series?

The JL-2Plus has a slightly higher charge current compared to the KL-4 series chargers. 2.3A vs 2.0A. So the charge time per battery is slightly less. The charge time per battery is approx 2.5-3hours. The JL-2Plus can also charge NiCD and NiMH chemistries, the KL-4 cannot. 

Zack, is idx working with a new LI ion chemistry for the possible upcoming np1 refresh? Or is it the same stuff. I read a year or two ago about an ultra fast charge li ion chemistry that was in development.

There are many variations of lithium batteries with each one having different energy densities, charge/discharge efficiencies, cycles, and voltages.

As you mentioned, some lithium batteries have the ability to charge extremely fast; however, there are typically drawbacks when a battery characteristic is emphasized. For example, a certain lithium battery maybe able to charge ultra fast but it may not hold up well in high/low temperature settings or high draw applications. A different lithium battery may have a low capacity but it can handle high loads or have a long life expectancy. What we to do is balance all the good characteristics and deliver a high quality and reliable battery.   

You may recall the old NP-L40 battery; it looks identical to the current NP-L7S but the cells are different. The 7S has a higher capacity than the 40. So a new battery from IDX will follow a similar path and have updated/different cells.  

Thanks,

Zack

Zack,

I know I'm not alone in my appreciation of you hanging out here talking battery-geek-tech with us.  It makes me even more glad to be a happy IDX user. 

Another question:  What's the charge current of the ION-4 simultaneous charger?

Thanks.

I’m happy to be a part of the community and help when I can!

ION-4s made prior to 2003 had a 2A charge current. ION-4s made in 2003 and later were updated to 3A.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...