clothing on clothing noise

Marla Hettinger

I know that clothing noise regarding  lav placement has been discussed to far great lengths, I've googled it.  

But ... My question is, what about clothing noise being picked up by the boom.   It's the fabric making noise that's being picked up by the boom to the point where I even doubled checked to make sure I split the lav and boom. A heavy cotton shirt that makes noise when the person moves around or a nice lined suit jacket with a starched shirt.

These situations are in an interview setting, where the person hasn't brought any change of clothes and won't take off the jacket. I am using a 416 Sennheiser for the boom mic.

it's driving me crazy... anyone else?

Marla

Sometimes it is what it is? Don't sweat it.. Do the best you can and move on.... Make a note on the report.... Many times making too much about something minor can and will work against you in the end. As long as his voice is clear and fat, chances are it is a non issue..

One of the harder things to learn about recording sound for picture is what not to stress or worry about.. You will most likely not fret about things you can't control as time goes on..

When was the last time you heard Foley added to an interview?

I concur with the rest, i wouldn't worry to much. One can only record what's actually happening in the space, nothing else.

However may be worth suggesting mildly at a convenient moment to the producer that the talents clothing is noisy. Most producers will send out a quick note to interviewed talent letting them know what to or not to wear before hand. This is a bit precarious though depending on the talent.

" When was the last time you heard Foley added to an interview? "

are you talkin' to me..?

I was just pointing out that clothing noises are a part of life, and movies... thus if they are picked up by a boom mic during an interview,  they must belong there...

In narrative movies (storytelling) we work harder to reduce such noises from the dialog, (for various mixing reasons) which then are properly replaced to make the dialog seem more natural real...

Thanks for all the advice.

These are top of the list Directors and Actors and they barely want to sit in long enough for the interview. Me asking them to stay still and talk less with their hands probably won't go over well.  I've already pushed the envelope with having them take off jangeling jewelry and ticking watches.  

Okay thanks

Marla

These are top of the list Directors and Actors and they barely want to sit in long enough for the interview. Me asking them to stay still and talk less with their hands probably won't go over well. I've already pushed the envelope with having them take off jangeling jewelry and ticking watches.

Okay thanks

Marla

Loud jewelry or watches drive me nuts. In your case i wouldn't worry about it much.

Senator, i was not talking specifically to you, my comment was more general but prompted by 2 of the first responses mentioned adding foley, which struck me as unusual for an interview. I do agree that every movement generally has an associated noise, and it's ok to hear it, at least at some level.

These are top of the list Directors and Actors and they barely want to sit in long enough for the interview. Me asking them to stay still and talk less with their hands probably won't go over well.  I've already pushed the envelope with having them take off jangeling jewelry and ticking watches.  

Okay thanks

Marla

Hence.... don't worry about it....  ::)

Your best bet is to be an invisible human in this case... Telling anybody anything or asking anything of the talent either performance wise, or, by asking to double stick or moleskin clothing would be unwise, as you have deducted... Telling them or suggesting there are problems are also probably unwise in a situation like this.

There are times when you address this stuff... and times when they can see through you... This is the later... 8)

Don't worry about what you can't control Marla. Also since I don't know your level of experience might I suggest you listen back to the recordings in your home over speakers. Headphones up too loud can make foreground and background harder to distinguish their levels. Sorry if this insults you, just a suggestion.

CrewC