Arri Amira

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" seems to be a very well thought out camera. "

as expected.

One of my schools has acquired 3 RED One's (and beaucoup headaches!) and is now adding an Epic, with a Dragon upgrade promised, though they really want ARRI stuff, but cannot get any deals, as ARRI is selling cameras faster than they can produce them

Edited by studiomprd

Although he return is very clean, i cannot stand sony fs700 anymore. The lack of tc input is killing me. Please camera people buy Arri's!
Hey Dom I'm certain people will look real hard into this. Every other DP will be eyeing this one and ultimately, it's the DPs that call the shots (no pun intended). I foresee great success. Hell, I'd buy one!

What a difference it makes when you have a company like Arriflex building cameras.

Well a camera is not mainly build to accomodate the sound guys... ;-)

Too bad they didn't do it 2-3 years ago. Nothing new technology wise. Same Alexa sensor. "HD is the future" & "HD is good enough for documentries" story is just a joke... Move your ass Arri and give us something up to date!!! Now people can be happy for that 3 XLR input, the production will ask the camera operator to make sound and skip the sound guy ;-)

Be happy!

Pat

My praise for the Arri camera is not so much for its usefulness for recording sound --- I appreciate its design as a camera. The battle, if it is to be a battle, for independent double system sound, needs to be waged on more significant grounds than just the sound capabilities of the camera.

There's a lot of griping on the Red User Group as to "why would anybody buy a $40,000 camera that can't do 4K?" One answer to me is, in the case of this new Arri camera, if you can plug in a battery, plug in some disk storage, power it up, throw it on your shoulder and immediately start shooting (ENG style), that's a big plus. With the Epic, you have to buy an awful lot of extra stuff to make it work as a shoulder-mount documentary camera. 

No question, the Epic has more resolution, but the storage requirements are also four times greater, depending on the data compression used. The Arri may be a much more practical camera for somebody who needs to get down and dirty in fast-moving news situations. 

There's a lot of griping on the Red User Group as to "why would anybody buy a $40,000 camera that can't do 4K?" One answer to me is, in the case of this new Arri camera, if you can plug in a battery, plug in some disk storage, power it up, throw it on your shoulder and immediately start shooting (ENG style), that's a big plus. With the Epic, you have to buy an awful lot of extra stuff to make it work as a shoulder-mount documentary camera. 

No question, the Epic has more resolution, but the storage requirements are also four times greater, depending on the data compression used. The Arri may be a much more practical camera for somebody who needs to get down and dirty in fast-moving news situations. 

Quicker to get shooting in the field, also quicker to get started editing.  Arri is building efficient cameras for demanding workflows, red is building what they want to build.

I can't imagine using an epic on a doc shoot. What happens after you roll for longer than 10 minutes and the hair dryer kicks in?

"Oh crap, now it sounds like we're filming a root canal. At least it's 4k, I guess we'll just loop it, oh wait this is a doc... we didn't think this through.."

That said, I know there are docs shot on red I just feel bad for the mixer.

Hope to see the Amira in the wild next year.

Hello,

Here is a litle video to show my Epic docu setup for fast mooving pace.

No hair dryer ever here. R3D 8:1 is lighter than Prores444 no download time problems.

Last time I had a technical break down was in the Amazon. The Quantar stopped recording. The Epic was just fine.

https://vimeo.com/74732703
Password : Epic

Have a nice evening.

Patrick

The real cool and not cool option.

The camera menu it's on the viewfinder area.

The audio menu it's on the screen of body camera. Really cool.

But when the camera op have it on the shoulder you don't have access to see the meters or to attach the buttons. Not cool.

One 5 pin XLR

Two 3 pin XLR

T/C with BNC

4k is overrated. I watch most everything on my ipad. The Oakley sunglasses camera has had a good run.

The audio inputs are in a recessed area, perhaps a Zaxcom TRX900 could hide in there with 5-pin to 5-pin, Timecode, and power from the AB d-tap all right there.

Although it looks like there might also be a vent there....