Mic Cable wrapped around xmitter

stacysound

My .02

First off regarding the mic itself, it should be wrapped when finished just like a mic cable... over under so to speak, so wrapping around the transmitter, I probably would not due ....... As for affecting actual transmission or other problems... who knows... but it would be hard to get to the buttons... but in a pocket maybe not an issue..

Who knows... If you can carefully wrap it... maybe not an issue...

I wish all my guys would treat lav cables as I would. You'd think wanting to keep them straight would be as important to them as it would be to me.

From my experience, only having excess cable around the antenna causes range issues.

I try to to loosely wrap excess cable and tuck it in the waistband as opposed to the pocket.

I know ankle packs aren't ideal, but it's good for reducing cable bunching, sweat leaking, waistband falling offing (sic), etc.

Hey Larry,

For some reason I used to adhere to the thought that you don't wrap excess mic cable around the transmitter before dropping in the actors pocket.

Any truth to that?

If there is a fear of any RF getting into the audio feed of the Tx through the mic cable, or something similar, i would think not. 

Therefore I would not think your idea of wrapping excess lav cable around the tx should be detrimental to the performance of the mic or the tx itself... 

I'll let the RF gods in JW respond to this... :)

-vin

Hey Larry,

For some reason I used to adhere to the thought that you don't wrap excess mic cable around the transmitter before dropping in the actors pocket.

Any truth to that?

Hi Stacy and all,

Not wrapping the mic cable around the transmitter came from the VHF days (M185) when we were using the mic cable as a long antenna for the VHF wavelengths. With the UHF units it is not a problem. Even at UHF, keeping the mic cable from wrapping around the antenna is good practice for two reasons: keeps RF off the mic and doesn't short out the RF radiation from the antenna. If (when) you wrap the cable around the body of the transmitter, leave some slack at the mic connector to reduce the strain on the mic cable.Otherwise, wrap to your heart's content.

The Lectro IFB receiver uses the earphone cable as the antenna, so wrapping it around the case will reduce reception. If you have to wrap it, leave 8 inches or so free from the case to act as a reasonable UHF antenna.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Hi Stacy and all,

Not wrapping the mic cable around the transmitter came from the VHF days (M185) when we were using the mic cable as a long antenna for the VHF wavelengths. With the UHF units it is not a problem. Even at UHF, keeping the mic cable from wrapping around the antenna is good practice for two reasons: keeps RF off the mic and doesn't short out the RF radiation from the antenna. If (when) you wrap the cable around the body of the transmitter, leave some slack at the mic connector to reduce the strain on the mic cable.Otherwise, wrap to your heart's content.

The Lectro IFB receiver uses the earphone cable as the antenna, so wrapping it around the case will reduce reception. If you have to wrap it, leave 8 inches or so free from the case to act as a reasonable UHF antenna.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Perfect Larry!! Thanks again.