Cannon C500

I worked with the C500 the other day, and I like it even less than the C300.

First, the fans are really loud!  They only have two settings, ON, and AUTOMATIC.  Neither of which are satisfactory for getting good sound.  ON means 100% fan speed, which to my ears was about equivalent to an Epic on 50% or so.  AUTOMATIC kicks the fans down to a manageable level, but on my shoot, it lasted two takes of about 45 seconds each, then the fans slowly started ramping up speed, until an overheat error came on screen and they kicked back up to full.  The worst part was the fan speed kept changing until it overheated and kicked on full.  I decided I'd rather give post a track with a higher noise floor, but one that is at least consistent.

The DP and AC had constant trouble with the camera, and spent several hours of the day on the phone with Cannon trying to figure why it does this, or how it does that.  I don't know the details of the issue they were having, I mostly overheard bits of the conversation, but our day went long because of extended periods of downtime caused by the camera.  Nobody on the shoot liked working with it.

Rant over.

The C300 has become very common around here now.  It works ok.  I've used it taking a TC feed from the cam, with a Lockit and with a hail-Mary jam, and sent it audio from various flavors of wireless and cable feeds.  I haven't had fan noise issues with it.  The C100 was more of a deal, everything about it is more prosumer and harder to deal with.

philp

Doh, just did a Canon C300 job the other day. In that case, the on-camera talent were far enough away from the talent that we couldn't hear the camera fan. I don't doubt that the C500 (being 4K instead of HD) could potentially be twice as noisy.

I really hate the ergonomics of the Canon C300/C500 design. There's no place to put anything on the camera, particularly with timecode boxes and wireless receivers, and it's not a comfortable camera to hold. They would have been much, much better off just making it about 50% larger and more "handholdable," like in the classic shape of a pro 16mm or ENG camera. The thing is just a bulbous box that looks ugly and is the opposite of ergonomic, at least from what I see.

The Sony F5/F55 makes much more sense to me. 

It is noisy. In all the interiors it was painfully obvious how noisy it is... But other noise was louder, so not such a problem - too bad that even on those few occasions where there were no other noise sources and we could have really clean sound the camera was still humming along. :)

I was positively surprised when we worked with Arri Alexa on a few days - super silent thing...

Also it looks and feels plastic - more than my Roland R-88 recorder - and more fragile... the audio input attachment looks like a toy - you are afraid to attach XLR into it - looks like it could break easily...  

I've had good success with the C300, and although I agree with Marc, it's not ergonomic at all, it does it's job and didn't get in the way of mine.

The C500 on the other hand.......

The DP was surprised by it being advertised as going up to 60 fps, but trying it on set they could only do it if they ran it to an external recorder, with a proprietary firmware that could only be delivered by cannon directly.  They wanted to shoot 40fps, and after many phone calls and delays, we shot everything sync again.  I only overheard the conversations, so there may be some details I missed, but it wasn't right.

The other thing they found out is it cannot output color bars to an external monitor.  Why?  who knows.