IOS 7. Yuck

Henchman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a problem with mail. My iPhone is my work phone, and my personal phone is an android phone. 

When I upgraded from iOS5 to 6 it was pretty seamless, but now it won't log into my normal mail account. I went to re-set it up, and it showed that it was already set up, but yet when I open mail it shows me a list of things: Google, AOL, Yahoo....but my mail is set up through the normal mac mail, and I don't see an option for that, so I can't get my emails. 

I'm having a problem with mail. My iPhone is my work phone, and my personal phone is an android phone. When I upgraded from iOS5 to 6 it was pretty seamless, but now it won't log into my normal mail account. I went to re-set it up, and it showed that it was already set up, but yet when I open mail it shows me a list of things: Google, AOL, Yahoo....but my mail is set up through the normal mac mail, and I don't see an option for that, so I can't get my emails.
You don't see this? 5yze8aqy.jpgu4eru4ym.jpg

Is there anything in particular you're doing? What services you have enabled (or disabled)? Any tips would be appreciated. Maybe my battery is starting to get to that point where it won't hold charge for much too long..

Nothing unusual. It's an iphone5 if that matters. Wifi always on, Bluetooth always on, gps always on. I had to ration that stuff with my Android phone and it sucked. That was one thing i loved about my iphone5. I always find it hard to figure out battery life because our job can take us to many different locations, and places with weak signal put additional power to the transmitter and run your battery down faster.

My amateur guess would be an app is somehow not optimized for iOS 7 and is running in the background. The OS should be able to cut off apps, but maybe one isn't listening. Is there something to check what's using the processor? I always tried those utilities with android and they were useless. It was something like the system using all the power, as opposed to a third party app I could have deleted.

Maybe give it a few days and see if apps are updated, or maybe apple will push a 7.0.1 if there are a lot of bugs that slipped past, but it really seems like TONS of people were using the beta builds, so it should be pretty stable. I would see people that are definitely not developers using it in the wild, and I think their data was still sent back to apple for diagnostics. I might be wrong there.

You don't see this?Posted ImagePosted Image

That's for adding additional accounts. The primary email should be under Settings -> mail, contacts, calendars -> accounts -> iCloud ->

It should have your work apple email address, and the switch for mail should be on. Otherwise it might just use iCloud for calendar or bookmarks or something. It seems like some little things like that get flipped. My iMessage flipped to make it seem like I was sending messages from @icloud.com instead of my cell phone number or Mac.com, I've never used the @icloud email and if anything comes in on that address it's an error or spam. It threw people because I've been using the @Mac.com email address since iTools was launched in January of 2000.

I actually like the redesign of some of the apps much better, such as Calendar. It looks so much cleaner. I was never a fan of skeuomorphism to begin with though, and I am a huge fan of minimalism.

I'm the opposite: I liked the 3-dimensional, quasi-realistic look of the previous iOS and don't like the new flat look at all. But I do appreciate that they've managed to make my iPhone 5 run like a bat out of hell. Siri in particular is very fast -- the voice even speaks faster and more naturally. 

BTW, if you own a 5 or a 5S, be sure to tell Siri "OK, Glass" (the Google Glass command) and see what happens. 

I'm the opposite: I liked the 3-dimensional, quasi-realistic look of the previous iOS and don't like the new flat look at all. But I do appreciate that they've managed to make my iPhone 5 run like a bat out of hell. Siri in particular is very fast -- the voice even speaks faster and more naturally. 

BTW, if you own a 5 or a 5S, be sure to tell Siri "OK, Glass" (the Google Glass command) and see what happens.

I can appreciate that. I've always been more of a futurist, and whenever I see technology trying to pretend to be like what it replaces, it drives me a bit insane, as I feel we move back as opposed to forward. This is obviously my opinion.

I guess one of the advantages of Android is the ability to customize its look to what you want it to be, so if you like the skeuomorphism you can go for that.

Btw, what is the response you get? I tried the command you suggested and it just searched for the term in the web. But my phone is in french so I suppose it wouldn't react the same to the command in french.

If anybody has a problem with too many old e-mails showing up (when I updated I had 5000+ unread e-mails), it is likely that you are syncing to a POP3 server, which does not track read/unread.  Try syncing to those accounts with the Exchange option, it'll solve it quickly and without having to open all of the e-mails.

I have been using iOS7 for about 6 months now (developer). Even with the bugs, the phone just seemed to be more fluid and easy to use. The calendar app is a little wonky to get used to. Dont forget about the new dropdown list from anywhere on your phone. That will show you your daily calendar events as well.

Btw, what is the response you get? I tried the command you suggested and it just searched for the term in the web. But my phone is in french so I suppose it wouldn't react the same to the command in french.

If you say "OK, Glass" in English, Siri responds something like, "Stop trying to strap me to your forehead, <your name>. It won't work."

I have been using iOS7 for about 6 months now (developer). Even with the bugs, the phone just seemed to be more fluid and easy to use. The calendar app is a little wonky to get used to. Dont forget about the new dropdown list from anywhere on your phone. That will show you your daily calendar events as well.

Again, I will repeat.

It's not about the way it works.

It's the hideous colour scheme.

Especially in the calendar and notepad app. And the Safari app. All the white.

And, and.....

Well, it's just awful all round, IMO.

That happened on my iPhone 4 as well :S Calendar is weird IMO... Can't find a week view even... But overall i think I like it. All other apps that haven't redesigned to fit the ios7 look weird..

really? I read iOS7 is impossibly slow on an iPhone 4 (which I have too). Or do you have the 4S?

I don't like the new look, by the way, looks like Android. But if it speeds things up I might just get it...

Again, I will repeat. It's not about the way it works. It's the hideous colour scheme. Especially in the calendar and notepad app. And the Safari app. All the white. And, and.....  Well, it's just awful all round, IMO.

I don't agree that it's awful all the way around, but it is uglier-looking than it used to be. I like a lot of the new features of iOS 7, though certain things -- for example, the "flat" look of the user interface when you're retrieving a phone message -- is not fun to deal with. That is a stupid change.

really? I read iOS7 is impossibly slow on an iPhone 4 (which I have too). Or do you have the 4S?
No I had the straight 4, recently switched to an HTC one. The camera surely sped up at least. The rest wasn't, but it wasn't slowed down either. I think I had the 32gb version and I'd bet that makes a difference too. I mean people with the 16gb version might experience sluggishness

I don't agree that it's awful all the way around, but it is uglier-looking than it used to be. I like a lot of the new features of iOS 7, though certain things -- for example, the "flat" look of the user interface when you're retrieving a phone message -- is not fun to deal with. That is a stupid change.

I feel the same way. Some of the features were just working PERFECTLY for me. For example the calendar. I remember using it for the first time. I connected to the concept so fast and how natural it felt. I do appreciate most of the changes but something in me also says, "Starting to get scared when I hear the word "Introducing..." in the beginning of a commercial from "already" one of my favorite manufacturer." 

Well... in the end we are the consumers and they are the designers. Crossing the fingers for the updates. 

And don't forget they're 'introducing' Maverick later this month. If it's still numbered in the 10 series and not a jump to 11 I don't understand why they've dropped the cat names.

I was done with the cat names a long time ago, but I am curious as to why it is still branded as OS X