Letter writing campaign to FCC Chairman Kevin Martin re: White Space

The sale of the audio spectrum "white spaces" has created a near panic within the entertainment industry. In an attempt to let the FCC know how it will personally affect each of us, I am copying a letter that Ed Greene, CAS has sent to FCC Chairman, Kevin Martin.

The CAS Board along with Ed Greene is initiating a letter writing campaign. The more of us "end users" who contact the FCC with our concerns will assist in the protection of some of the spectrum.

So here is Ed Greene's letter -- use it as a boilerplate, edit it and add your own personal take on this. The FCC, being an old government institution will respond favorably to old fashioned letters via "snail mail". Let's flood their mailbox!

There is also an email address: Chairman Kevin J. Martin: KJMWEB@fcc.gov

Here is the mail address:

Federal Communications Commission

Chairman Kevin J. Martin

445 12th Street, SW

Washington, DC 20554

ED GREENE LETTER TO FCC:

To Kevin J. Martin

FCC Commissioner

Dear Commissioner Martin:

I am an audio professional who works with RF microphones and other wireless devices. At present, RF devices operate in a small part of the white space area of television, with many thousands in use nationally on a daily basis. I recently read that the FCC has auctioned off the 700 Mhz spectrum for 19+ billion dollars and is considering new uses for other portions of the spectrum.

Does the FCC have any plans to protect the “white space” frequencies now in use for Motion Pictures, Entertainment, Sports, Broadway shows, Concerts, Television, Theme parks, Schools and Churches?  Any interruption from multiple, new, wireless devices on those frequencies will make present wireless, as a practical matter, unusable. In these economic times, moving their RF spectrum would represent an impossible financial burden for the majority of the users of the present technology. In addition, there would be a seriously  negative effect for producers of all these events.

About a year ago, I appeared with other audio professionals before the FCC Office of Engineering and Technology, two commissioners, and your legal representative, to describe the size and scope of this issue. With less than a year left before analog television is gone, many professionals in this field face an uncertain future. Can you provide any insight to FCC consideration for protecting their spectrum?

Very truly yours,

Edward J. Greene

Member, Cinema Audio Society, Board of Directors

Member, Academy of Television Arts and Sciences

Television mixer for: “The Kennedy Center Honors”

â€œA Capitol 4th”

â€œChristmas in Washington”

â€œThe National Memorial Day Concert”

â€œThe Academy Awards”

â€œAmerican Idol”

Thanks to all who respond,

Richard Lightstone, CAS

ya thanks, so will I.

btw,

did anyone see the FCC booth at NAB this year? they are usually right next to Lectros booth.

Their booth was several rows away from Lectro's. In fact, there was supposed to be a Q&A breakfast with two of the commissioners.  I was going attend but, it was canceled at the last minute.