metering on SD 664

simon forbes

Hi all,

I'm the new owner of the 664 after twelve years using an SQN4S and everything seems better on the new mixer but am having difficulty: adjusting to using VU instead of PPM.

It feels as though when recording any voice with a bit of dynamic range, then to keep the limiters from being on all the time, my average vu level is rather low. Not much above zero in fact, but my hazy recollection of sound theory tells me that the 1ppm is 4db so surely 8VU is the limit? Or have I got that wrong? And if so, why do the limiters cut in so much higher than that, at 18db?

In short, I suppose my question is: for a good level, should I be keeping my VU levels in the orange part of the meter and let the limiters handle the peaks?

Any advice gratefully received.

All the best

Simon Forbes

England

The SQN is analogue, the 664 is digital. You need to rethink your gain structure, and understand the difference between analogue (up to 20db or more) and digital (none) headroom.  That chart is quite useful in showing the relative differences - look at EBU Digital v UK PPM. VU meters are also quite different to PPM's in response times, though SD have varying settings of hold time etc, which you can try. If your limiters are set at -2db, then yes, a lot of people will  bring them down so that peaks are either no more than -6, -9, or -12, depending on specifications, which is why orange often starts at -12db. 

As stated, learn to understand the difference between digital and analog. Then learn the difference in ballistics between a PPM meter and a VU meter.

A true VU meter isn't designed to display peak levels. It was created as a (less than perfect, however) way to display relative loudness levels.

As previously stated, SD offers a variety of metering options. Learning these will help you understand the differences.

The SQN is analogue, the 664 is digital.

I want to clarify that the input of the 664 is analog (unless you are connecting with AES3/42), and is subject to the same "dynamics" as any analog input. Unlike a 788T, which converts, routes, and mixes in digital right after the signal is converted to digital, the 664 analog mix bus is analog. While there is a whole lot of digital in a 664, the main mixer path is analog. 

The "peak and VU" setting is the most common for 664 and other SD mixer users. It shows peak signal levels in dBu with selectable hold time (PPM spec is a fixed hold time), while showing VU to get a sense for input loudness (as John mentioned above).

I do the same on my 664 as Matt : modulation around +8 with peaks ....well whatever comes up.Wished limiter threshold could be set seperately on individual tracks (instead of L and R and X1 and X2 only).And a a 'scale' (analogue or 'digital') choice (software) in the menu would be nice.And interpunctions in Notes!!(",'_)( please Jon/Paul at SD!)

You left out Ringo and George.

I miss an 'h" in Jon ,and one of them is dead,and you are not!!So fix it,..Jon,Paul,George and Ringo !Because 'notes' in the 664 is

very annoying nowadays.....I  know....,I know It's a 'mixer' and not a 'recorder' (yeah right..)but I use it as an ISO recorder anyway,and notes needs a fix!!Thanx.David Carmiggelt

• 10 months later...

Reviving this...

Working on a lengthy project where prod company provides equipment. I have a 664 and one of the mics is a km100. Using it for sit down interviews, it sounds good, but the meters in the 664 never goes below -16, like I'm in a noisy environment. There's no audible noise, and it sounds fine. My guess is that it's a high hiss or low rumble (but changing the low cut doesn't change anything on the meters) , like self noise that I can't hear. It's mic related, my other mic, 8060, doesn't show anything like this.

But since I can't hear it, I'm wondering what the meters are showing me. The "noise" is showing both in the iso and the mix. However on the camera or isn't visible at all.

This might have been discussed before and I'm sorry if I'm repeating something, but I'm just curious to what this might be.

Thanks Johnny! That's probably it. Interesting. I'll look into that. That would also explain why it doesn't go to the camera, I guess the outputs of the 664 and the ins of the camera don't have that range..

mradlauer: I know! This post was actually just a test to see how long it would take for him to see my error of repeating. He was kinda slow, I think he might be loosing it.