Powering Sennheiser MKH 104's

Brhoward

I have a couple of MKH 104's, but have no way of powering them. They seem like something I would enjoy using. I have read online that it is easy to build a -8v power. I read this on a site of Richard Hess: 

http://www.richardhess.net/restoration_notes/RLH_MKH-804-Phantom_Adapter_v03.pdf

I don't have experience with Mr. Hess, nor do I have any experience with building a power supply. 

Does anyone here have any guidance in the matter? I have someone who can help me build this from the above schematic, if it turns out to be a good solution.

I also see these online: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SpannungsversorgungPSU-f-Sennheiser-MKH104-404-804-/160738970893

Does anyone on the forum have these mics, MKH xx4, and care to share some info on how they power them?

Much appreciated.

It seems like the most cost-efficient way to power will be to use the converted 48v - 8v from a mixer/recorder. I will be building a power converter adapter with the help of an experienced audio engineer; will report back with pictures and documents once it is finished.

There were powering adapters, the sennheiser MZA6 battery power that was supplied as an accessory with the original mics, however they take 6 1.5v button batteries and will cost too much to purchase for continuous use. 

I just built a P48 converter to supply a Panasonic WM61a (2-10v) I will measure the actual output voltage and see if it would work with the 104.

It seems like the most cost-efficient way to power will be to use the converted 48v - 8v from a mixer/recorder. I will be building a power converter adapter with the help of an experienced audio engineer; will report back with pictures and documents once it is finished.

There were powering adapters, the sennheiser MZA6 battery power that was supplied as an accessory with the original mics, however they take 6 1.5v button batteries and will cost too much to purchase for continuous use.

• 3 years later...
9 hours ago, JonG said:

Curious how this turned out @jason porter, I have a pair of mkh 404s that I'd like to bring some life back to. Can you post some photos and give us a few details into your solution?

Hi Jon.  I don't even remember this project, haha.  I'll take a look at my notebooks and see if I can find the circuit.

This isn't the circuit that I made, but maybe it's more appropriate for what you want.

http://richardhess.com/notes/2009/03/07/phantom-powering-of-early-sennheiser-mics/

Yes I saw that. I inquired to him as well, but no reply as of yet. I'm hoping someone more handy than I may be able to point me in the direction of a product (hand made or not) that I could buy/commission that can make these mics work à la PSC barrel sort of idea. Thoughts anyone?

@Ron Meyer

• 2 weeks later...