Omnigoose in danger

Philip Perkins

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little different for Europe and UEFA Champions League football matches.

Today I met (during ENG news) one good friend and "veteran" sound mixer for OB Vans here in Thessaloniki.

The conversation was for "placement" the microphones in football matches for UEFA.

He told me this: "You are not allowed to place the cables and microphones where ever you want. The "guys" from UEFA have a map from stadium and told you where to pass the cables. They have plan. Believe it or not is the best cable routing and microphone placement you want without "boom in shoot". White background advertisments = white windshield and etc. It's a law".

No offense at your placement Philip and your job.

A little idea how the system working here.

:)

That's a horrible rig.

I'd replace my 3rd or boom if that's how it was placed. Have you ever been to a hockey game and dealt with the impact of pucks?

At the very least a bongo holding the transmitter close and tight to the back of the post where it would be much less likely to take a direct hit. Probably on the top bar centered up where the goalie is generally blocking it.

Unless you had about 20 seconds to get out there and place it, I'd give it a D- but hey it's your gear and your potential conversation with production about why it was placed like that after it took a direct hit.

It does make a nice target though.

Scott

No it wasn't in the shot where it is.  And it moved for every shot to stay that way (not so easy w/ 3 cameras rolling).  This wasn't for a real sports event, we owned the rink during the shoot, so we could do whatever re cables etc..   The risk was worth the audio we got, for sure.  Ice rinks are noisy places, you gotta get close.  The omnigoose (Peter Engh) is great for this sort of gag--WAY faster than rigging any sort of lav or CUB style mic (as the mic moved for every new camera setup), and the gooseneck allows for fast fine positioning.  Don't knock it if you haven't heard it.

philp

That's a horrible rig.

I'd replace my 3rd or boom if that's how it was placed. Have you ever been to a hockey game and dealt with the impact of pucks?

At the very least a bongo holding the transmitter close and tight to the back of the post where it would be much less likely to take a direct hit. Probably on the top bar centered up where the goalie is generally blocking it.

Unless you had about 20 seconds to get out there and place it, I'd give it a D- but hey it's your gear and your potential conversation with production about why it was placed like that after it took a direct hit.

It does make a nice target though.

Scott

Thanks.  See above--this was not a real game, this was where the mic could be for this particular setup, yes I had about 20 sec each time to move the mic to a new position, and it sounded great on the big body pile-up yard-sale in front of the goal, thanks.  BTW, I'm not looking to work for you anyhow--busy enough on my own thanks, and the people who matter (producers, editor) gave it an "A"!

philp

No it wasn't in the shot where it is. And it moved for every shot to stay that way (not so easy w/ 3 cameras rolling). The omnigoose (Peter Engh) is great for this sort of gag--WAY faster than rigging any sort of lav or CUB style mic (as the mic moved for every new camera setup), and the gooseneck allows for fast fine positioning. Don't knock it if you haven't heard it.

philp

Easy there, Zamboni... Not trying to rain on your Omnigoose parade (happen to own a couple myself). Just my observance of an expensive rig hanging precariously in the proverbial line of fire from someone who played the game. Now go to the box and feel shame. ;)

Easy there, Zamboni... Not trying to rain on your Omnigoose parade (happen to own a couple myself). Just my observance of an expensive rig hanging precariously in the proverbial line of fire from someone who played the game. Now go to the box and feel shame. ;)

Only if I get to drive the Zamboni!

I wasn't suggesting that this was some championship Olympics-ready rig, just that the Omni goose is a great tool for a very fast impromptu plant rig when there is no time and my boom is occupied elsewhere.

philp

Only if I get to drive the Zamboni!

I wasn't suggesting that this was some championship Olympics-ready rig, just that the Omni goose is a great tool for a very fast impromptu plant rig when there is no time and my boom is occupied elsewhere.

philp

[laughs] I concur on the Omnigeese... They are very handy tools to have and don't crap all over your lawn.

Peace,

B

So what you're saying is that you have time to takes pics of the rig you threw up, time to upload it here, but don't have time to explain the context of it and simply want us to say how neat it is without bringing up what we honestly think of it?

And yes your statement, "Taking the bodychecks for me (@ an ice hockey shoot) and sounding great on the goal pileups." directly implies that there's a game on.

It's a cool rig and extremely useful but I can't give kudos for pics or rigs like this given this context.

That's where I'm coming from.

S

So what you're saying is that you have time to takes pics of the rig you threw up, time to upload it here, but don't have time to explain the context of it and simply want us to say how neat it is without bringing up what we honestly think of it?

And yes your statement, "Taking the bodychecks for me (@ an ice hockey shoot) and sounding great on the goal pileups." directly implies that there's a game on.

It's a cool rig and extremely useful but I can't give kudos for pics or rigs like this given this context.

That's where I'm coming from.

S

Not looking for kudos, and how much time does it take to take a phone pic?   I uploaded it after the job, right?  There's no implication that there's a game on in anything I said--it's a commercial, a shoot, not a sports event--do you see a crowd?  Two full teams?  Do you think they'd let me be on the ice right next to the goal during a game?   This was just an illustration of how a particular tool helped me in an undermanned and over scheduled situation, and I will report again that it work spectacularly well in this context.

philp