External antenna for Sennheiser G2

Diego Sanchez

Hi all

I use a G2 for agency/directors headphones. It works well but sometimes is a bit limited on range. I know i could buy a half rack sennheiser unit that has bnc connectors for external antenna, but i was wondering if i could instal a sm or bnc plug into a bodypack transmitter to attach an external antenna.

Has anybody do it? What would the wiring be like?

Any help would be appreciated.

Diego

so the antenna is not just a whip that i can replace? shame

Well you can replace it, with a spare sold by Sennheiser, but I suppose you didn't mean that.

I don't really see a reason why it shouldn't work, if you can make the connection. The best way to go would be to just try it out

" I suppose that you could theoretically use any combination of connector and antenna as long as it was 50 ohm and physically fit into the space available. "

nope, not really...

Laconic.

I'm interested in this. Senator, do you have any insight on a solution for this?

" any insight on a solution for this? "

certainly if the antenna wire gets broken off, and there is enough "lead" still on the pack splicing a bit of wire to replace the broken antenna would be possible as a temporary solution, however the actual connection to the board contains a component in that "boot", and it is not connected to the TX by a true 50 Ohm tap, as it would be on a TX with a 50 Ohm connector...

" any insight on a solution for this? "

certainly if the antenna wire gets broken off, and there is enough "lead" still on the pack splicing a bit of wire to replace the broken antenna would be possible as a temporary solution, however the actual connection to the board contains a component in that "boot", and it is not connected to the TX by a true 50 Ohm tap, as it would be on a TX with a 50 Ohm connector...

Ok, so is you're saying it's impossible to modify the replacement antenna to match the TX?

Also, I believe OP was asking about modifications to extend the wireless range. 

Basically, replacing a dude's arm with a kickass robot arm with super-strength; as opposed to simply sewing on a transplant.

" Ok, so is you're saying it's impossible to modify the replacement antenna to match the TX? "

no...

but installing the replacement antenna (which is available from Sennheiser) requires some  basic technician type work (including soldering) ...

accessory external antennae (sic) are not suitable

the capability for users to conveniently interchange the antenna is a feature of higher priced options...

Edited by studiomprd

" Ok, so is you're saying it's impossible to modify the replacement antenna to match the TX? "

no...

but installing the replacement antenna (which is available from Sennheiser) requires technician type work...

the capability for users to conveniently interchange the antenna is a feature of higher priced options...

Actually, I find it very easy to replace the antenna with the Sennheiser replacement antenna. And I'm not particularly well skilled with a soldering iron

no...

but installing the replacement antenna (which is available from Sennheiser) requires some  basic technician type work (including soldering) ...

So it IS possible, just hard to do?

Sounds like a challenge.

• 1 month later...

geez guys, that would mean that i would be the first person in the world who had tried this and succeed. been using the g2 and sony uwp installed with an sma connector nearly a year now and it hasn't failed me once.

oooo also tried it with the RF multi SMA combined with a shure active antenna and jolly me  the range it self is amazingly astonishing for such a cheap system. my modded system is more the enough for me especially on use for TV drama, TVC, ENG, and studio shoots that im not even planing to upgrade my wireless system no more.

here are some pictures of my modded system:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/111009002@N04/with/11286518415/

ooo before i forget i have to thank eric toline for giving me a tip on grounding the g2 system and also some of my friends who are RF and satellite engineers back home that made this project possible