UH400a not working. Common issue?

Michael Panfeld

I have a UH400a.  Something is clearly not correct.  Using a Rode NTG3 and setting to phantom (48), I get sound, but it is extremely muffled, like I am talking through a pillow.  Modulation LEDs do not light up, regardless of gain.  When tested with a dynamic mic, it works (much better), but still, with gain set to max I can scream into the mic and the LEDs only hit green (and barely).

I am using a fresh battery.  I used a voltmeter and got 42v on the XLRs.

I just bought this secondhand, so I would love to hear... oh yeah, those symptoms means its the flux capacitor, its a simple $30 fix at Lectro.

I would not like to hear (but definitely would like to know) that this is either a major repair or not repairable. 

Do these symptoms seem familiar? 

Thanks

Hmmmm.  Thanks.  I've had other answers, such as I need to buy a Lectro 21750 to reverse the 2-3 pins.  However, someone else has advised me that the Rode NTG3, in particular, will not work with the plug-on because it only supplies 4mA, but the mic apparently needs 5mA.  I wonder if Larry can confirm issues with the NTG3. 

I did try with some other condensors and it does seem to work with those.  However, I am having a hard time getting it to hit the red LEDs.  Thanks

Hi Michael,

Try the polarity reverse barrel as others have recommended. There is a 90% chance that will solve the problem. The UH and HM mics provide 7 mA at the 42 Volt setting and 15 mA at the 15 Volt setting. This should be more than sufficient for the mic. Assuming the barrel solves the problem, then run the mic at its 12 Volt setting with the UH HM at its 15 Volt setting. This will improve the battery life a bunch.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Typo?

That's the real open circuit voltage. Since we have a lower impedance output than the DIN standard, we start out at 42 Volts open circuit. Under any mic load, the voltage drops about half as much as normal and our 42 Volts is equal to or greater than the DIN voltage values. However, we call it 48 Volts since that is what everyone understands. Why 42 Volts? Batteries last longer and we can provide more current. Sorry for the confusion.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

That's the real open circuit voltage. Since we have a lower impedance output than the DIN standard, we start out at 42 Volts open circuit. Under any mic load, the voltage drops about half as much as normal and our 42 Volts is equal to or greater than the DIN voltage values. However, we call it 48 Volts since that is what everyone understands. Why 42 Volts? Batteries last longer and we can provide more current. Sorry for the confusion.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Thanks for clarifying that.  It's great to be armed with accurate information -- it makes one more dangerous.

• 1 year later...