SD 442 recording into 744T setup question

beefbuns

Hi,

I think I'm in the right forum, but I was looking for some advice on setting up my newly acquired 442 mixer with my 744T.

I will be using the 4 mic inputs on the 442 and then outputting these 4 into my 744T inputs.

When I output a -20db 1KHz tone from 442 into 744, the levels are way too hot on channel 1+2 in the 744 and the 2 volume knobs don't go low enough.

My question is, is it best for me to change the 2 channel input switches on the 744 to line level (from mic) or to change the 442 direct outs to -20db (via the internal menu) and would there be benefits to either one.

Thanks all.

You need to make the inputs and the outputs the same, i.e. line level to line level. The main outputs on a 442 are factory set at "0" line level, you can switch the output connections to mic, -10 or line level. The direct outs are controlled by the trim knob and you can see & set the level by using the PFL switch above each input section.

Eric

As Eric suggested, set your direct outputs to line level, and switch all the inputs on your 744T to line level signal.

By having your 744T inputs set to Mic, you are submitting your signal to go through the pre-amps, which can potentially lower your SNR. Even more so, because you are padding down the direct outputs which by default should be line level signal. Being Pre-Fader, they are set by whatever you have your trim knob set to (as Eric also stated). Avoid all that and have your signal be the cleanest possible by just having line level between your mixer and recorder.

Someone has an anger management issue and needs to contact his manufacturer for a needed update.

Alas, he was one of a kind and they don't build them like that anymore. and no more updates, I'm afraid. old circuit boards and all that. Software was programmed in a language now unknown.

Thanks for all the helpful information guys.  

And "studiomprd" I've been on JW Audio for just over a year now and there is a wealth of useful information posted out by fellow audio people, and I've noticed you post on almost every single one of them. Granted, most of what you say is relevant and informative, but don't you think that by the time you spent ripping me apart and generally trolling my post, you could have simply reiterated what other helpful members on this post have said. Or not say nothing?

...And "studiomprd" I've been on JW Audio for just over a year now and there is a wealth of useful information posted out by fellow audio people, and I've noticed you post on almost every single one of them. Granted, most of what you say is relevant and informative, but don't you think that by the time you spent ripping me apart and generally trolling my post, you could have simply reiterated what other helpful members on this post have said. Or not say nothing?

If you've read this forum as extensively as you claim ("I think I'm in the right forum"), you'll know that there is an important distinction to me made about your inaccurate labeling of the Senator--he is not a troll ( he may be a curmudgeon, but the agenda is markedly different). And take into consideration what you're asking; would you rather have every single post be helpful, friendly, and reiterative, or would you be willing to accept a few minor digital raps on the virtual knuckles to remind you that the primary mover in your growth must be your own effort ?

The channel 3 and 4 inputs on the 744T also want to see line level signals. the default setting on the 442 iso outputs (the ones on theTA3 connections) is for line out at 0db. these outputs can be changed to mic level in the 442 set up menus. make sure you read the manuals for both your machines. There are a lot of options in there and the manuals  are well written. Sound Devices tech support is excellent if you need answers. email them and they will get back to you promptly. i have been using my 442/744 combo for over 5 years (the 442 for 10) and I still find it an excellent pairing. rock solid both in both build and sound quality. The learning curve on the 744 can be a bit steep, but it's pretty flexible once you get to know it.

enjoy your purchase.

My question is, is it best for me to change the 2 channel input switches on the 744 to line level (from mic) or to change the 442 direct outs to -20db (via the internal menu) and would there be benefits to either one.

Line level input on recorder, line level output on mixer. One of the most important principles to learn is gain-staging:

http://www.alesis.com/tipsdec08

Essentially, this keeps the level of every sound source optimized throughout the signal chain, so that there's fewer chances of adding distortion or noise at any point. As The Senator says, this is a very basic principle of sound mixing and recording, and one that can help you or cripple you, depending on the circumstances.