Which tape do you use with lavs?

Christian Spaeth

I have settled on some kind of transpore to tape lav cables to skin or textile, because it doesn't leave traces on either. However it does leave traces on the lav cable, which, after some days of shooting, looks really dirty and it's not that easy to remove. Is it the same with all kinds of Transpore? What do you guys use?

I have settled on some kind of transpore to tape lav cables to skin or textile, because it doesn't leave traces on either. However it does leave traces on the lav cable, which, after some days of shooting, looks really dirty and it's not that easy to remove. Is it the same with all kinds of Transpore? What do you guys use?

As far as with tapes, Transpore all the way. I try to stick with medical tapes because they're designed to adhere to skin.

However, the lav cables do get pretty grody, so I keep a pack of alcohol swabs in my AKS bag. Every couple of days, wipe them down, good as new. 

In a T. Holman book, I saw a picture of a bandaid being used to stick the lav. I've never tried it, nor have I ever seen anyone else do this in person. Any insight on this?

Three 3M medical tapes that are commonly used in our industry are Durapore, Transpore, and Micropore.

Durapore:  A "silk-like" tape with a latex-free, hypoallergenic adhesive that offers high strength and adhesion. It adheres well to dry skin. This "silk-like" tape is the most economical, high-strength and high-adhesion tape. Durapore tape is conformable and has bi-directional tear. It is excellent for securing regular and bulky dressings, tubing, and immobilization.

Transpore:  Transparent, water-resistant, perforated plastic tape with easy, bi-directional tear, even when wearing gloves. For securing tubing, dressings and devices. Hypoallergenic and Latex-free. Features: • Transparent • Water-Resistant • Perforated • Bi-Directional Tear • Hypoallergenic • Latex-free

Micropore:  A latex-free, hypoallergenic paper tape that is gentle to the skin yet adheres well and leaves minimal adhesive residue upon removal. An economical, general purpose, breathable surgical tape. Available in white or tan. Micropore tape is excellent for repeated applications on sensitive skin, fragile skin and elderly patients. It is available in a dispenser pack for easy tear and convenience.

I used to use Transpore -- but although I carry a variety -- these days my "go-to" is Durapore.

I haven't had as much luck with Durapore as I have with Transpore, as for me, the Duraspore seems to NOT be as adhesive. In fact, I mostly use it for more sensitive skins, and repeated day after day applications where I'm hoping it won't be so aggressive.

Gonna try the baby oil wipes, because the dark side of Transpore is it is hell to get off. Constantin, do you then use alcohol wipes to get the baby oil off (was using goof off, but was told it will eat the mic cable eventually)?

best

I use Transpore but hate the residue it leaves on cables. Unfortunately isoprpyl alcohol does little to remove the gunk. WD40 works a little better but not great. Lighter fluid works OK too followed up with alcohol to remove the residue. I hear mineral oil is supposed to work removing it from skin but have yet to try it.

To clarify, I don't typically use the Durapore to hold mics on, I use it to tape the lav cable down as a strain relief or to prevent it from popping out (at the collar, for instance) as the person moves.

These are the identical duties to which I assign Transpore, JB, but with caution, as a forgotten or hidden or torn remnant of Transpore left on clothing can (and has) make a quick enemy out of an actor using their own clothing.

The baby oil remark got me thinking. What if one were to - BEFORE placing the lav on the talent - treat the lav cables with some kind of oil that doesn't damage the rubber, soas to keep the tape from sticking to it? As long as the tape sticks to the surface it's applied to (skin or textile) the lav cable would stay in place. I might try this this week.

The baby oil remark got me thinking. What if one were to - BEFORE placing the lav on the talent - treat the lav cables with some kind of oil that doesn't damage the rubber, soas to keep the tape from sticking to it? As long as the tape sticks to the surface it's applied to (skin or textile) the lav cable would stay in place. I might try this this week.

Seems like the cable would not stay in place, but slip though.

And I know for me, I'd end up getting cable oil on my tape, or on the skin, or my fingers, and in the heat of battle...nothing would stick, and I'd be a "hot mess" (not mention getting wardrobe all oil-stained).

Good luck to the more experienced !

I've had a few actresses react to transpore after a few days. I'm guessing the 3 use the same adhesive, so it's always good to have other plans.

I tend to go through phases, but lately I've been using a combination of moleskin with transpore on top. It really depends on the wardrobe and the person.

I'm a big fan of the Sanken RM-11, the rubber mount for the Cos 11, and the white ones quickly get disgusting with tape goo.

It's also great when the goo picks up a hair somewhere along the way - that looks really professional...  :blink:

So, a list of the things I've tried on Transpore goo, so you don't have to, cause none of them work very well:

Isopropanol Alcohol

mineral oil

lighter fluid,

goo gone

goof off

fast orange

simple green

white gas

xylene

MEK (methyl ethyl ketone)

brake cleaner

WD 40

paint thinner

What I have found works pretty well, (ie, the amount of time scrubbing is less than it would cost to buy new ones)

is Automotive Wax and Grease remover, the stuff used to clean metal surfaces before painting.  

Specifically Pro-form 621.

Unfortunately, it smells like diesel mixed with gasoline, so I finish by giving it a good wiping with isopropanol alcohol.  The alcohol evaporates from the mic with no residual smell...

I'll have to try the medical stuff that Jim recommends, cause I've been trying different stuff for a long time, and while I've found no instant magic bullets, the Wax and Grease remover is the fastest and most effective yet.  But it would be nice to have something less stinky...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin