Help with archiving a ProTools 10 session

PLo128

Hello all! I've been having trouble lately trying to deliver a finished ProTools 10 session with its files to a client. After wrapping up the final mix for a short film, I removed all the unused audio from the clip list, selected the "Save Copy In" option, and checked the boxes to copy "Audio Files" and "Video Files."

A new session folder was created along with a audio folder inside it, and there I see a big list of the audio files I used in the session. After moving this new copy of the entire session to an external hard drive, I opened it with ProTools and received a box informing me a couple hundred files are missing and need to be relinked. After selecting "automatically re-link," it only finds about half of them. I've repeated this process twice now to receive the same results.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Do I need to reset my preferences? I searched the forums but came up bunk. Any help is appreciated.

That's the worst thing about pro tools. The thing is it you need to save copy in the destination where you want it to be. If you save a copy in one place and then move that to somewhere else, protools think files are missing when they actually aren't. Its folder hierarchy changed but the project file doesn't really get it is all. No big deal really just annoying.

Are these fade files? I have sometimes had these gone missing, but PT then offered to rebuild them, which in your case it apparently didn't

It's all types of files--459 of them from a 13 minute film to be exact. I don't have the time to manually relink them all. So a lesson learned to just work off a client's external drive for small jobs like this. 

Olle is 100% correct.

That's the worst thing about pro tools. The thing is it you need to save copy in the destination where you want it to be. If you save a copy in one place and then move that to somewhere else, protools think files are missing when they actually aren't. Its folder hierarchy changed but the project file doesn't really get it is all. No big deal really just annoying.

Easy answer is to save copy in directly to the drive you want to deliver.

It's all types of files--459 of them from a 13 minute film to be exact. I don't have the time to manually relink them all. So a lesson learned to just work off a client's external drive for small jobs like this.

Manually relinking doesn't mean linking every single file by hand, you can choose the folder to relink from, matching criteria, and "find links". If that doesn't work, something went wrong in the initial process.