Red Scarlet, Why Camera Dept, Why?

Current project we are shooting master interviews on the Red Scarlet. I'm sure the pictures are good but what an awkward thing it is. From sound POV no real big problems as I'm recording on 788. Timecode has received no complaints from post.

The Red Scarlet is exactly the same size and almost the same weight as the (twice as expensive) Red Epic, so the body is the same. Once you put rails on it and a battery and the viewfinder, wireless video transmitter, wireless audio receiver, timecode jam box, a big lens with a follow-focus mechanism, plus a decent shoulder mount (or tripod), it's no more awkward than any camera.

I have to say, though, the Alexa comes out of the box as much more of a rational camera design to me. But the Scarlet can be made to work, when you buy enough accessories for it. 

Interestingly, Red kind of quietly cancelled their Meizler Module, which was going to add wireless video, wireless audio, wireless timecode, and a QuickTime proxy recording device to the camera. That was supposed to be out over a year ago but is no longer on their website. Reportedly, a new version will be shown at NAB, but the absence of stuff like this will not help them gain new customers.

TV shows routinely are shooting high-res 444 QuickTime files in log space (one could consider them similar to a wide dynamic range audio file), which work perfectly with post. Granted, 4K will eventually be the norm, but I think the 3K Alexa works fine 99% of the time. And the reliability is unquestioned.