Wireless iPad video?

Guest Taskin

Hi all, 

Im not sure if this is new, but I just came across it and was wondering if anyone uses it or thinks it might be a good/bad idea?

http://www.teradek.com/

Many of us use iPads for cl-wifi or script reading etc. anyway, so why not use it as a monitor as well I thought? Plus no BNC trouble for one man bands and it can stream to an iPhone as well, so boom ops with personal monitor attached to the boom maybe? :D  I suppose its not very cheap but neither are small HD monitors. What do you think?

Taskin

Taskin,

I work for Teradek. If you have questions about this technology, im happy to help. We've recently updated iPad streaming on Cube to provide the following:

1. Latency is only 4 frames

2. Supports up to 1080p on the latest iPads

3. Audio support coming very soon (previously, adding audio would increase latency. Not anymore though!)

4. Multiview support w/ Teraview. Allows up to 4 Cube feeds to be monitored at once on a single iPad 

You can see the Multiview here: 

4 frames out of sync would drive me out of my mind.

philp

True that is a lot of latency for mixing. However if ure a single man working off bag, you can always stay on the edge of the frame no problems, no more "boom in" :)

Taskin,

I work for Teradek. If you have questions about this technology, im happy to help. We've recently updated iPad streaming on Cube to provide the following:

1. Latency is only 4 frames

2. Supports up to 1080p on the latest iPads

3. Audio support coming very soon (previously, adding audio would increase latency. Not anymore though!)

4. Multiview support w/ Teraview. Allows up to 4 Cube feeds to be monitored at once on a single iPad 

You can see the Multiview here: 

Hi Mike,

Its perfect except the latency. Could you guys come up with an adapter and app that could allow the iPad to monitor video signal from BNC cable? 

4 frames out of sync would drive me out of my mind.

philp

Is that 0.16s delay? 

?

I wouldn't really mind four frames. I usually don't stare at the screen all the time, nor do I check for lip sync, as I'm usually busy mixing the shot. I need to see the size of the shot, who's talking, check here and there for the boom. Maybe for script supers or directors 4 frames would be too much, but for a sound mixer this should definitely be workable.

come up with an adapter and app that could allow the iPad to monitor video signal from BNC cable?

?

That would make all the difference in the world. Using a idevice as a monitor is something i ve been waitig for a bit but the fact that you can t plug to it is a downer. I ve heard partial results with te stability of wireless video reception and poor range. I would just buy an i-adaptor that d take hdsdi to display on a small ipod touch screen really.

4 frames 25fps @ 40ms per frame = 160ms, so 0.16s would appear to be correct (ignore the resident troll). An improvement maybe, but very noticeable unless your audio is also delayed by the same amount.

Thank you!

Would lets say a Lectrosonic + 788T combination have any delay as well? It might make up for some of it...

I wouldn't really mind four frames. I usually don't stare at the screen all the time, nor do I check for lip sync, as I'm usually busy mixing the shot. I need to see the size of the shot, who's talking, check here and there for the boom. Maybe for script supers or directors 4 frames would be too much, but for a sound mixer this should definitely be workable.

I think so too.

Working with one at moment (for the director) - Tx mounted on back of main camera. Generally pretty good - tho does require periodic restarts. Audio is no go and pushes sync further out (and then tries to catch up) so I'm supplying regular IFB. Will be better if the needed reboots are reduced.

Which model?