This guy built his own AKG C12 clone (more or less). Looks good (and fun).

Jim Feeley

From Radio World:

Curt’s Gyraf Audio G7 Tube Mic Project

by Curt Yengst
on 10.15.2013

Audio engineers the world over appreciate the sound of vintage tube microphones like the Neumann U 47 or the AKG C12, but the cost can easily run to several thousand dollars, leaving them beyond the reach of all but the biggest studios (or well-heeled dilettantes). What if I were to tell you that, for under $600 — and with a bit of labor — you could enjoy a taste of that vintage sound?

Aarhus, Denmark, is home to Gyraf Audio, a small boutique audio manufacturer specializing in tube preamps and other processors. Their website,www.gyraf.dk, features a DIY section showcasing several projects, some based on products they produce. They don’t provide kits, but each project includes schematics, parts lists and PCB layouts. One such project is the G7 Tube Microphone. I recently took on this project, and here I share my experience and the extremely gratifying results.

Rest of the story:

http://www.radioworld.com/article/curt’s-gyraf-audio-g-tube-mic-project/221879

Lots of pix in the story. Here's one:

SS-G7-F-1.jpg

Here is my Frankenmic project.

Rebuilt grill, Cinemag transformer, different capsule, different tube and slight change in wiring.

I called Telefunken and asked them to send me a tie pin, cut off the pin and curve the logo and stuck it on with epoxy.

Here's the story about selling a $250 Chinese mic for $1400

http://recordinghacks.com/articles/telefunken-m16-and-apex-460-comparison/

post-1622-0-52471700-1382117026_thumb.jp