744t feed to Comtek thru 1/8" Tape Out?

acdave

I'm putting together a compact audio bag for a specific confined-space location, basically for one day, out of stuff I own. The job's in a couple of days.

Using a 744t and a SD 302.

The 744t front panel knobs control tracks A and B, and the 302 controls tracks C and D. The 302 feeds two sources to the 744t's Line In TA3s, tracks 3 and 4.

All input sources are assigned to tracks A thru D and can be monitored from the 744t's headphone out properly.

Recording to the 744t, feeding a two-channel camera hop and trying to incorporate a Comtek (M72) feed of at least tracks A and B out of the 1/8" L + R tape out of the 744t.

Normally, I'd feed the Comtek through the TA3 Tape Outs on my 552 or 302. Never done it from a 1/8" Tape Out. Have had no luck with my TA3 to sub-mini Comtek cables.

I haven't figured out the Comtek feed yet in this case. I think I have the 744t Output settings correct, but something's still amiss. I'd like to send at least a couple of tracks out to the Comtek.

I've tried a bunch of Output 1 assignments. Have tried a kluged stereo 1/8" to Comtek cable, with XLRs in the middle, then tried a stereo to mono 1/8" adapter.

What am I missing? A special cable? Summed 1/8" to mono locking sub-mini?

Specific 744t configurations? Any way to send the Comtek feed from the 302's Tape Out?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Wendlinger

I feed Comtek TX off the 744 Tape output all the time.   The 744 is TRS out in a "headphone" config (tip left, ring right, sleeve common gnd), the Comtek is mono , so you have to have a somewhat oddball cable that either takes just one channel of the output of the 744 (or both--you can just put them together to mix the two), tip and or ring to the Comtek end tip, and the sleeve to sleeve.  When I first did this I was worried that shorting the two signal leads of the tape out together would also monoize the 744 TA3 analog outputs, but it doesn't, at least it hasn't in the 4 7xx machines I've had.

philp

I have three cables to feed the 1/8" Aux. input on my Comtek (216) from my 302's TA3 tape-out. Left only; Right only and L+ R summed. The L+R summed has 10k iso resistors, as per the SD tech page.. but will work without them. The SD tech page has diagrams and 'R' values for feeding mic level from the Tape-out as well.

Our good friend Eric Toline makes real nice cables if your not adept at it.