ISDN Questions

Eric Lawrence

I recently started doing post production mixing for a company. We mostly do commercials and short corporate videos, most of which require a VO. When available, the VO talent uses our booth and we record here. But often times we use someone out of state, which we have an ISDN line for. However, being a bit young, I've never done a VO session over ISDN and I'm not sure the steps to take in order to get things up and running. I'm hoping someone would be willing to write out a simple step by step guide to setting up a VO session over ISDN, assuming of course that there are some universal steps to be taken, that aren't unique to each studio setup. If thats the case, any info would be a tremendous help. 

Also I've read a little about Source Connect being a better/newer option, but it can also be quite buggy. Is that the case yet, or is ISDN still more stable?

ISDN is a relatively old, but still useable technology that relies on digital telephone lines. You have the phone company connect your ISDN lines to your location and connect those to a box that interfaces with audio signals. Then you have a channel of communication through which you can talk to and record the person at the other end.

Depending on the box and the instructions that come with it, making it work can be easy or it can be difficult. Chances are Source Connect will be easier and cheaper to setup than ISDN. I know it interfaces directly with Pro Tools. It's gotta be at least $75 per month for an ISDN line.

I've never used one personally, so I can't help you in any more detail. I have setup a converter to allow the use of analog phones on ISDN lines. That was like stepping back in time 20 years.

Mark O.

while I always suggest: RTFM, that will be helpful in the set-up and connection of the device, but will not be:a simple step by step guide to setting up a VO session over ISDN, assuming of course that there are some universal steps to be taken, that aren't unique to each studio setup., as beyond making the connection, each studio typically has its particular way of conducting its sessions, whic he will need to get from the folks where he works...