Sound Cart for international travel

Patrick Wilcox

Hi All,

My basic question: for the frequent flying mixer, do you prefer to break your sound cart and contents down into pelican cases or to use a shock absorbing rack mount case (i.e. SKB)?

Details: I'm building a first proper sound cart. I'm drawn to rack-mount carts, as I like the idea of not having to build out the cart often, but open to being talked out of this. I travel for shoots as a bag based mixer an average of two weeks a month, so I'm often flying. I'm in talks to do a feature overseas and need some advice on putting together a traveling cart, but I'll also be mixing independent films in my hometown of Portland, OR.

The cart will need to hold:

-Zaxcom Nomad

-Mix-8

-3x QRX100 + Multiplexer

-Shark fins on antenna tree

-IFB antenna

-2x 7" monitor

-Case or drawer for 6 TRX900's and DPA lavs in micro cases and 2 CMC6MK41's

-2x booms

-Power section (Still working this out, maybe PSC LiFE battery or just NP1's and BDS v4 or Furman, PSC Power max and marine deep cell batteries)

-cables, headphones etc.

I'm interested in building the cart myself out of 80/20 aluminum extrusions (thanks to Jeff Wexler for that) and have the assistance of a good friend who is a medical cart designer at Moto.

Advice from anyone who has build a Chindha style sound cart or rack-mount sound cart that travels well, or has another option would be much appreciated.

I'm not much of a fan of shipping gear by regular airline baggage packed in anything but a really rugged case w/ 2 inches of foam at least.  A shock-rack cart can be ok if you are loading and unloading a container yourself and supervising the strapdown.  Air-shipping gear in a normal non-shock rack is insane.

philp