Going to Vietnam--Anyone have experience working there?

Alex Mitchell

Hey guys!

I'm being brought on to a project that is going to Vietnam in late January and I wanted to check and see if anyone here has worked there. Things I'm wondering:

1. Wireless considerations. Are there any blocks banned? Is the maximum transmission power limited by law? Are certain blocks really congested?

2. Carnet. Do I need a Carnet to travel with my gear? I'm leaving from Canada if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help guys!

This doesn't address all your questions directly but you should check out Jim Tanenbaum's account of teaching sound recording classes in Vietnam. We published it in the most recent issue of the 695 Quarterly and it's available for online viewing here:

http://695quarterly.com/summer-2013/5-3-how-i-spent-my-summer-vacation/

In addition to the account published in the journal, a larger and more detailed account is available for download. Jim covers a variety of things about distant travel, cultural expectations and matters of that sort. Well worth a look if you are Vietnam-bound.

David

I was in north Vietnam doing a Doco and Bk 28/26 was good; it was a traditional science Doco the most mics I had up at once was two so not huge pressure there.

Not sure if Vietnam is part of the carnet club, we travelled lots of other countries that were on carnet so had a carnet.

As mentioned arranging a carnet is a production issue - give them details of gear you're taking with you and check the serial numbers to make sure they match

Not sure if Vietnam is part of the carnet club,

It isn't, unfortunately.

2.  A carnet is always a good idea, and the production company should provide...

It isn't a "good idea" if that particular country isn't a member of the carnet program.

Vietnam is still a somewhat closed country especially when it comes to filming in there.

I went to Vietnam this spring with a small crew to film an episode for a show called "Find my family" (it's a Dutch format called 'Spoorloos').

The production had to contact the Vietnamese government prior to going there and we were issued a "guide" the first minute we landed in HCMC. Apparently her only job was to make sure we didn't film anything "unsuitable".. 8)

I sent the production a list of my equipment (the same list I use for ATA carnet) which they forwarded to the government office in Vietnam. We then received a document in return (written in Vietnamese), which apparently stated that we are allowed to bring the equipment to the country and also out of the country when we leave.

Citizens from my country (and many others) don't need a visa for Vietnam but be prepared for a painfully slow "tourist" registration process at the airport upon arrival and bring a few passport pictures. We luckily managed to skip that part with the help of our governmet issued minder guide.

I used two SRA's and four SMDB's in block 24 and had no problems with frequencies. I also used block 31 Audio Ltd En2's for IFB and heard no complaints from our producer or others who needed IFB.

You propably know this already but the humidity and heat can be insane in Vietnam! Make sure that you have enough water bottles and then some.

I was in Ho Chi Mihn City for two weeks in December last year. As you live in Canada and I live in Australia, two reasonably well ordered and regulated Countries that are pretty much on the same wavelength, just forget about everything as you know it, it doesn't apply in Vietnam.

Basically nothing seems to be regulated and everything can be bought. I wouldn't be too concerned about frequencies, I'd just take a couple of different blocks, and swap if necessary, as if you were going anywhere. Our equipment got seized and wasn't released out of Customs for the entire shooting period, for reasons I still don't understand and wasn't told.

I made up detailed equipment lists, and itemised everything with serial numbers I took and valued everything at replacement price. Most of that info came out of my own insurance details. 

I had a huge amount of fun, and the Vietnamese people are genuine, friendly and curious and the food was awesome. There were a few sketchy moments but most things went well. I was always aware that I was the outsider and was always polite and made an effort to learn 'Thank you' in Vietnamese. Its amazing how far one word will get you. Have fun and take lots of photos!

Hey Rainier

HCMC - the dodgy south. Northerners make comments about them and consider them untrustworthy; left over from the war.

The south has embraced it's exposure to the west thru the US. The north is more "soviet" but certainly not unfriendly - just a little more ordered; a long cut above India for example. I would really think twice before try to "fix" something with a bribe in the north.

I was always aware that I was the outsider and was always polite and made an effort to learn 'Thank you' in Vietnamese. Its amazing how far one word will get you.

Pretty easy, too, since it's so close to "come on"! Though after flying to Thailand from Vietnam had a bit of an embarrassing moment when a waiter brought my food and I thanked him in Vietnamese... I hope he knew the word instead of wondering "Come on? Why? I was already next to him"!

Hi there Alex,

I've worked in Vietnam many times over the years for various productions. I've used Lectrosonics Blocks 21,22,23,24 and 25. Block 21 gave me the most problems, but I think you would get by with any of the above. Lectrosonics do have an Asian distributor whose email is peter@moretec.net, I'm sure they could provide you with more specific details If you need them.

I have never had any problems with customs in Vietnam, but I know people who have. The key to avoiding any of these issues is to make sure that you have a good fixer and coordinator.

Good Luck. 

Still there on the project.

Lectro wireless bl 26-28 have no problem, Senn wireless G-band is the best.

Bring your own power sources and never buy battery in Vn, 99% is fake. Charger etc. should handle 210+ V.

Usually international production should have a Vietnamese liason to handle all the paper works for you but on the same note, make a complete list of your gears and their value. Media production gears are tightly considered state sensitive.

Beside that, it is a great place to work, pple are friendly and Vietnamese crew are very eager to learn from international contractor.

Other than that you can

Email me for specific stuffs

Have fun

• 2 weeks later...