grounding of hirose 10pin

bendybones

I am thinking of replacing the camera end of my hirose umbilical with a 10 pin XLR or possibly a 7pin XLR as they are more readily available here.

I'm using a Nomad but I found a pin-out for the hirose 10-pn on the Sound Devices site (this is for their panel mount 10pin in the 552)

1 – L (+) output
2 – L (–) output

3–R(+)output

4–R(–)output

5–R(+)returnA

6–n/c

7–L(+)returnA

8 – n/c

9 – ground

10 – ground

Question: Is that second ground really necessary. I not I could use a 7 pin XLR to carry 2 balanced XLR, a stereo return and a ground.

I assume it is necessary as there are some unconnected pins, but if anyone could confirm, and/or explain why, that would be great.

Many Thanks,

B

I am thinking of replacing the camera end of my hirose umbilical with a 10 pin XLR or possibly a 7pin XLR as they are more readily available here.

I'm using a Nomad but I found a pin-out for the hirose 10-pn on the Sound Devices site (this is for their panel mount 10pin in the 552)

1 – L (+) output

2 – L (–) output

3–R(+)output

4–R(–)output

5–R(+)returnA

6–n/c

7–L(+)returnA

8 – n/c

9 – ground

10 – ground

Question: Is that second ground really necessary. I not I could use a 7 pin XLR to carry 2 balanced XLR, a stereo return and a ground.

I assume it is necessary as there are some unconnected pins, but if anyone could confirm, and/or explain why, that would be great.

Many Thanks,

B

You might want to consider this Hirose connector adapter for the Nomad or Maxx. It connects to the aux out & camera return TA5 on those units. Contact me for details. audioetc@bellsouth.net.

Eric

post-22-0-76579400-1383246022_thumb.jpg

Thanks Eric,

however I'm thinking of moving away from hirose altogether because the screw lock collar is too time consuming for doco and is constantly getting throttled unsuccessfully by shooters.

I find the build of hirose10 connectors to be disappointing, and the throttling doesn't help.

I also feel that xlr7 or xlr10 connectors will be easier to solder under pressure and have more parts in common with a lot of other XLR connectors which I have plenty of (strain relief cuff, outer shell etc).

I have a dual TA5 to hirose mixer tail (like the one you pictured)

I have a 5 meter and a 10 meter hirose cable, and I have camera tails (dual XLRm and 3.5mm).

So I plan to cut off the camera-side hirose10, replace with xlr10, make a xlr10 cam tail for each camera that I regularly work with.

That way I still have 15 metres of umbilical and no huge investment.

Neutricon is the standard camera end breakaway, has 8 pins, wire compatible with PSC or Remote Audio standard and you have access to many over-the-shelf flavored of camera pigtails. I think it was nano-con or mini-con that offered a 12 pin connector, but was more aimed at competing with larger Lemo / Fischer terminations than being a rigged field breakaway point.

If you're going the 8 pin Neutricon route here's the wiring from an SD Hirose multipin output. This also matches the Remote Audio wiring but not the PSC.

Hirose: Pin 1 L+ to N pin 3, H Pin 2 L- to N pin 4, H pin 3 R+ to N pin 6, H pin 4 L- to N pin 7, H pin 5 Ret R to N pin 2, H pin 7 ret L to N pin1, H pin 9 l&r grounds to N pin 5, H pin 10 Ret ground to N pin 8.  Note that pins 6 & 8 are not used in the Hirose 10 pin connector.

Eric

If you're going the 8 pin Neutricon route here's the wiring from an SD Hirose multipin output. This also matches the Remote Audio wiring but not the PSC.

Hirose: Pin 1 L+ to N pin 3, H Pin 2 L- to N pin 4, H pin 3 R+ to N pin 6, H pin 4 L- to N pin 7, H pin 5 Ret R to N pin 2, H pin 7 ret L to N pin1, H pin 9 l&r grounds to N pin 5, H pin 10 Ret ground to N pin 8.  

Eric

thanks Eric thats very helpful

Does anyone know of a tutorial video on how to solder a Neutricon 8 pin connector?

None on YouTube believe it or not

Basically I want to get an idea of the size of the parts and ease / difficulty of assembly - that will be a deciding factor in Neutricon8 vs xlr7

Soldering the pins to the wire before putting the pins in the holder is easier and faster than soldering the wire to the pins after they have been inserted into the pin block. Once in place the pins cannot be removed. Leave about 1" of slack in the wire to allow for flexibility for inserting the pins in place.

Eric

Forgive me, I've never been tethered to a camera via a breakaway – I'm assuming 2x bal and 1 stereo unbal is a standard cable, so why would you use any more than seven pins/cores? Just to split the grounds of the sends and returns?Just because Hiroses are cooler than XLRs?

Yes, to split the grounds, or (in the Remote Audio 552 breakaway), to put TC down the same cable.

Forgive me, I've never been tethered to a camera via a breakaway – I'm assuming 2x bal and 1 stereo unbal is a standard cable, so why would you use any more than seven pins/cores? Just to split the grounds of the sends and returns?Just because Hiroses are cooler than XLRs?

The female 10 pin Hirose is the standard multi-pin output on Sound Devices 442, 552 & 664 units. You'll need a Hirose 10 pin male to attach to the mixer, after that you can terminate a breakaway any way you want. The 8 pin Neutricon connector is primarily used but a 7 pin XLR will do the job also.

Eric  

Does anyone know of a tutorial video on how to solder a Neutricon 8 pin connector?

None on YouTube believe it or not

Basically I want to get an idea of the size of the parts and ease / difficulty of assembly - that will be a deciding factor in Neutricon8 vs xlr7

If you are careful, the Neutricon connectors are a snap. The pins come separate, you solder them to your cable's conductors and insert them into the shell, insert the shell into the connector body, slide the collette on and screw the boot on. It takes some planning and care but the integrity of the resulting cables is really good, since there's no need to avoid the other conductors you've just attached. A bonus is the Neutricon locking mechanism will give way before the cable is pulled out of one connector or another when under extreme stress, saving repairs.

Best regards,

Jim

• 3 weeks later...