Quick Sony F55 TC ?

PTA

I've been using an ERX on an F55 for a few long projects over the last months. No problems at all. Solid sync from the ERX, receiving Zaxnet TC and guide audio from a Nomad. These were 25fps projects.

You can set the F55 to display EXT-LK in the viewfinder, if your camera op is ok with that. Unfortunately there is no option to have it displayed on the side LCD at the moment.

Page 57 of the manual talks about an Internal/External Sync selector button, and there is a Genlock BNC input for sync on the camera. "In theory," it should work. Here's what the manual says:

SonyF55sync_zpsa5ef3da0.jpg

No 29.97 DF that I can see. 

If it doesn't work, it wouldn't be the first time a Sony product had some kind of weird software problem that didn't quite work. I'm told the F5 and the F55 have gone through some major debugging over the last six months, and I don't know what the current firmware is.

" One question. What is the difference betwen GENLOCK, Synch, and trisynch level? "

well, OK, this is going back to square #1...

GENLOCK is video "sync",  sync is a synchronizing signal (hey, it could be GENLOCK), and "trisync level" is an incorrect term.

" Even with genlock we always had 0 to 2 frames of offset. "

offset is easy.

I used to feed an F55 with TC and Genlock. When i disconnected TC it was still written EXT-LK on the screen.. but after few tests, it was not so accurate. Even with genlock we always had 0 to 2 frames of offset. I often had theses values with Sony cameras :(

So on a semi-related note, I'm currently using some Sony F3 cameras and what I'm seeing now is the external lock logo seems to always be on screen no matter if timecode is connected or not. The camera seems to take the time code, but the external lock seems to be there regardless. Not sure if that is a software thing or not, but there also doesn't seem to be any option in the viewfinder menu to enable or disable external lock logo. I'm guessing it is some older firmware. Anyone else experience this?