664 Firmware 2.0 Now Available

jon_tatooles

We have just posted 2.0 for the 664. This update offers access to analog inputs 7-12 and 16-track recording without requiring the CL-6. We have been hard at work getting this functionality in absence of the CL-6. 

For users that need direct fader access to inputs 7-12, the CL-6 is still an important piece of kit. Menu control of inputs 7-12 doesn't work for everyone, especially in a bag with sources requiring level adjustments.

http://www.sounddevices.com/download/664-firmware/

for what?

Are you serious?

The list is about as long as my arm!

How about decent playback control and monitoring, selectable meter screens, visible trim for record tracks, visible scene and take number, viewable incoming timecode etc etc etc etc etc

In short, all the things that may or may not be 'coming'. A very elastic term if Automix is the benchmark.

Apologies for the thread hijack. These days I feel like the 664 is beginning to out-Nomad the Nomad, bearing in mind it already has many of these features...

How about decent playback control (I see both machines having "decent" control of that)

-and monitoring (both seem just fine on this front too),

-selectable meter screens (nomad technically still has more selectable screens even if they're not as efficient. Do you mean screens that you like to see, if so please explain?)

-visible trim for record tracks (AMEN!)

-visible scene and take number (AMEN again!)

-viewable incoming timecode etc etc etc etc etc (what are you looking for here? Both machines do this on their own separate menus)

I've already derailed the thread on Jon's new release rather too much. But all these things have been listed in the Zaxcom request list. I think the playback section of Nomad is poor. There is no default monitoring and listening to tracks requires constantly exiting the playback menu to access the monitor selections. Equally trying to PFL tracks is fraught by the need to use the same membrane switches required for playback. I refer also to the much demanded ability to 'select' screen modes rather than cycle through them. Last time I checked the Nomad did not display ext timecode on any meter screen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but think the 664 does and also flashes if TC values are not equal.

Apologies again, I was being slightly facetious about the relative update schedules of both manufacturers. Back to assessing the new release!

Firmware release is cool BUT price drop is not. When you buy something, it looses value over time, that's normal but when the mfg adds a price drop to it, that's not cool. Still happy with the product.

On a more constructive side, I wish we could see the frame rate value on the main screen. Seing that I am at 48khz is nice but unnecessary in the long run, frame rate is much more important to me. Voltage info on the battery ( actual value not the battery icon ) would be great also.

My two cents.

Lack of price increase???? No reason to increase the price on the CL6. On the other end the 664 already had a price increase. I believe it is perfect where it's at price wise.

I stand corrected, you now see the frame rate in the main window. Way to go SD. Something I asked for a month or so ago and it was quick to see it in.