New recorder just released

Jeff Wexler

This is really quite silly and I am only posting it because I found it amusing. From Macworld site:

SuperMegaUltraGroovy and Toastycode on Friday announced the release of TapeDeck, a new audio recording application for Mac OS X v10.5 or later. A demo is available; the full version costs $25.

TapeDeck carries with it some retro charm — it’s designed to look like a cassette tape deck, and even operates like one, complete with a tape deck-style interface. It’s designed to quickly capture recordings, stored as “tapes,” recorded directly to MP4-AAC audio. TapeDeck is aimed at users who want to make band recordings, practice speeches or capture lectures, according to the developers.

Each recording is saved and organized in a searchable “tape box.” You can also write notes and send recordings to iTunes and an iPod/iPhone. You can put titles on your tapes, and make the note content searchable in Spotlight and Quick Look.

Eye candy in TapeDeck includes line level meters, rotating cassette spindles, animation for live search and user interface sound effects.

The tape deck emulation even goes to the demo, which sports two weeks of “gradually declining battery life” and low-quality recordings.

TAPE DECK 1.0

-  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815077495_thumb.jpg

Along with the gradually declining battery life, maybe every once and a while it could randomly chew up a tape and ruin a recording !!! LOL. That would make it the ultimate in tape deck simulation.

Yeah, no 120 min cassette .5 mm tape files.  The joke is really that I have lots of cassettes from the late 1970s that still play just fine, are labeled as to what they are and are self contained and fairly rugged (survived car tape decks etc).  Will the audio files I record to day be so easily findable and playable in 2041?

Philip Perkins

They should add a mode that adds or subtracts wow & flutter (by percentage), along with varying degrees of tape hiss: a perfect recreation of the lo-fi cassette experience.

I know there's a free Pro Tools plug-in that simulates all the flaws of vinyl: surface noise, ticks & pops, even off-center spindle wow. Very funny, in a retro kind of way.

--Marc W.