Anyone heard Equator Audio D8 Studio Monitors?

Dave

Hi All,

Has anyone heard or worked with the newish Equator Audio D8 studio monitors? (Read the favourable posts regarding the smaller D5 model).  

Just curious about general build quality, accuracy, power and most importantly, the bass response and handling for ultra-low bass heavy synth productions (i.e. the low lows in Spectrasonics Omnisphere).

Thanks for your thoughts - much appreciated.

Link :    http://www.equatoraudio.com/D8-Coaxial-Studio-Monitors-p/d8.htm

Cheers,

Dave

• 1 month later...

I have the d5's and d8's. 

I love them both. 

Low end response the d8 is much better than the d5. With that said they will bottom out with LFE sounds. 

I'm actually looking at the q10's right now, the low end response is down to 32hz, which would be much better suited for LFE material. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers 

-Kevin 

I haven't heard them, but I think it's pretty fair to assume an 8" monitor will need a sub to fill out the low end. I have Adam A22s at home and they are good to around 70hz I think.

Also, I might be crazy, but I feel like using the crossover on the sub made the mids and low-mids more detailed on my Adams. Maybe because they weren't straining to reproduce the low end.

I just finished mixing a low budget film using the D8's for LCR, D5's for the surrounds and a JBL sub for the LFE channel and checking bass management. I quite like them and the mix held together at both a theatre showing for cast and crew as well as on a home 5.1 system. I found them quite easy to mix on. Excellent imaging  and clarity and the bottom end sounded fine without the sub though the sub does open up the bottom 2 octaves. They really are a steal at their price.