Nomad or Maxx for Backup/2nd Recorder.

Solid Goldberger

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about updating/streamlining my backup system, and I'm thinking that choosing between a Nomad Lite or Maxx would serve as the best 2nd machines to backup my Nomad 12, which has become my primary recorder. I'm currently using my Fusion 10 as a backup, but it might be a little too much machine to just have it sitting around all day in a Pelican, and I could certainly stand to gain some space in my backups case. I should note that I currently use Lectro wireless, so the Zaxnet considerations are not really a selling point.

I like the idea of having a 2nd, tiny, lightweight rig, for shoots where I might be doing more physical activity, like being out in nature, but I also feel like the Nomad is not really all that much heavier (a little over 1 pound), and the redundancy it would have as a backup might outweigh any advantages of the smaller Maxx.

I think at this point I'm leaning towards another Nomad, but perhaps some of you who know both of these units could maybe share your perspectives and help with my decision? Id love to know if there any real differences between the two, other then track count/size/weight (discounting the Zaxnet IFB in the Nomad vs. Hops Transmitter in the Maxx); thus far I don't see any.

Thanks in advance,

E.

As a backup I have a zfr100 recorder from zaxcom. It s two channels with the sta-150 adaptor. It has tc. It auto jams from nomad and the recording can be triggered from distance. Great with a small sd mixer or used as a bodypack for out of rf reception shots. People even use it with the sonosax boompole pre amp.

The best part it s that it s mightly small.

It might not be enough for you but for me it does the trick.

" I'm thinking that choosing between a Nomad Lite or Maxx would serve as the best 2nd machines to backup my Nomad 12... help with my decision?, "

" Id love to know if there any real differences between the two, other then track count/size/weight (discounting the Zaxnet IFB in the Nomad vs. Hops Transmitter in the Maxx); thus far I don't see any. "

grow up! there are no wrong answers, and only you can make your decision.

perhaps a visit to one of our usual suspects is in order..?

Edited by studiomprd

He made a statement that he was looking for the "best", but he asked if people could "share their perspectives". I would take that as a request for people's opinions.

He also didn't demand an answer. If you aren't familiar with both machines enough to have an opinion, you didn't need to answer. He wasn't asking anyone in particular.

If you need a machine to be a backup with little reconfiguring - then buying the same machine (a nomad 12 or 10) is prob the best way to go. If you haven't spent any time with the Lite software, I recommend you do before buying - it's not the same as the 10 or 12 last time I played with it.

The bonus of the Maxx really is the size (and 192 if you are interested in that nor the difference in zaxnet/tx options) - but if you are used to carrying a full backup maybe this isn't an issue for you.

I can get a basic ENG Maxx package into a 1510 case, carrying mics in a backpack.  This alone was a reason to go with a Maxx and not a second Nomad.  Not that I was really looking for a backup solution as opposed to just the most powerful compact rig that is NYC friendly.  

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about updating/streamlining my backup system, and I'm thinking that choosing between a Nomad Lite or Maxx would serve as the best 2nd machines to backup my Nomad 12, which has become my primary recorder. I'm currently using my Fusion 10 as a backup, but it might be a little too much machine to just have it sitting around all day in a Pelican, and I could certainly stand to gain some space in my backups case. I should note that I currently use Lectro wireless, so the Zaxnet considerations are not really a selling point.

I like the idea of having a 2nd, tiny, lightweight rig, for shoots where I might be doing more physical activity, like being out in nature, but I also feel like the Nomad is not really all that much heavier (a little over 1 pound), and the redundancy it would have as a backup might outweigh any advantages of the smaller Maxx.

I think at this point I'm leaning towards another Nomad, but perhaps some of you who know both of these units could maybe share your perspectives and help with my decision? Id love to know if there any real differences between the two, other then track count/size/weight (discounting the Zaxnet IFB in the Nomad vs. Hops Transmitter in the Maxx); thus far I don't see any.

Thanks in advance,

E.

I'm curious, Is it for cart or bag use ?

I also was not aware of the different software in the Nomad Lite, something to look into.

Other than the lack of Zaxnet and auto mixer. The only real major difference in the software is the way audio is routed to the card tracks. The 10 and 12 have a routing matrix where multiple items can be routed to a card track. Lite has a routing menu where you can only assign one item to a track.

I don't know Solid. Mike's answer was right. Is that what makes you respond with such anger? Or was it the broken record repeating of his response that made you so mad?  Very un Goldberger like of you.

When you say,

"Mike: 
Fuck off. I wish Jeff would Oleg you so we never have to hear from you again." 

It comes off like we all feel the same way. I for one don't. Mike may annoy many but he is not Oleg in any fashion. Listen, I don't like a number of people here at jwsound and I'm sure many don't like me, but I defend their right to have a POV and say it as long as the conversation stays civil.

CrewC

Mike, as he often does, started by calling names, and rearranging my words in green to misconstrue my question to be something I didn't say. He rarely adds anything to discussion, and instead has a stifling effect on discourse. I think I was pretty fair with my inquiry in my original post, and clearly from his nonsense rants about "pack mile audio" in the past, he has little to add to a thread about Bag-based recorder options, besides desparigng others.

Frankly I don't know why some of you guys defend his right to do this. He's continues to try to limit other people's participation on this site, is downright mean to many "newbies", and for some reason you decide to defend this bully because "he's not Oleg"? Crew, you always seem like a great guy (we've never met), and I really do respect your opinion, but I'm not sure what you see in Mikes continued nonsense that comes off as "civil conversation" to you.

The sheer number of threads I've read over the past 5 years that devolve into this ebecause of something mike does is truly maddening to me. I'm sorry to participate in another one, but I love this place, and I hate to see him ruin it.

Love,

E.

Though Mike may annoy many at times, perhaps he may be frustrated that at a time when the power of instant information and answers to many questions is in our very hands, some are still persisting in wanting the answers personally posted without taking the time to do any research at all.

I am not aiming this at any one in particular, but though it was not long ago, I still remember a time when it took a lt more time and effort to gather information.

This forum alone has a wealth of practical and theoretical information if you take the time to research it.

Chances are that some time in the future I will ask a seemingly stupid question, though I am really trying not to!

Well I certainly don't defend Mike because of his pretty face.;~)   Knowing Mike and admiring his career makes my reading of his often repetitious mantra's easier to take than it may be for many others who don't know him. He is now mostly teaching at film school and is 100% into that role/job and I think it (teaching) carries over into his posts here @jwsound. In the big scheme of things this is a small annoyance at best. Have a great Sunday.

CrewC

" choosing between a Nomad Lite or Maxx "

get both; one of each, at least!

" rearranging my words in green to misconstrue my question to be something I didn't say. "

HUH ?

" grow up! there are no wrong answers, and only you can make your decision. "

I stand by that...

you live near a couple of our usual suspects, and at least a couple of the unusual ones, too....

you listed the differences, and then asked if there are any differences...

I'm sorry, I found your inquiry(s) well below your level of knowledge and experience.

If you cannot make your own decision amongst these two products, based on your own wants, needs, experience, and other personal considerations, then you really ought to buy one of each!

While it must have escaped SM's unyielding gaze, it's obvious to me that E. was wishing to have a discussion about the merits of the various solutions that he was already aware of -- you know, the "bouncing ideas off of others" concept. 

It's a valid approach.  By voicing one's thoughts and subsequently hearing comments back, it can help one solidify his or her thinking and sometimes results in viewing a situation from an angle that the person hadn't considered. 

It's also a social exercise, which some people, as intellectually gifted as they might be, fail to grasp either the concept, or the value, of.

Put another way, it's a big reason that this forum exists and thrives.