Standard Operating Procedure...

Jan McL

All good suggestions so far. One to add:

When wiring talent on set, especially "civilians" and children, everyone on the crew should be respectful. Some folks are sensitive to this invasion of their space and jokes from the crew are totally inappropriate. Over the years, I have been able to tell that there are times when we can make light of this process, and other times when it is best to keep comments to a professional minimum.

I was wiring a Playboy Bunny the other day and had to deal with this. Within earshot a cast member started jabbering about it and making rude comments. Definitely made it an awkward experience.

Also: I've been wiring a lot of kids lately (under 16) and if it's anything that involves a hidden wire I will have their parent/guardian or production in the room. Not that I'm expecting anything to happen, but one false allegation or claim could end my career.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" I'll be taking better precautions against liquids in the future. "

>:(

" Don't let the AD coerce you into using the bell and light during rehearsal "

the AD's run the set; it is their set!

thus this SOP:

carefully pick your fights issues...

" not necessarily implying the project has any more clout or merit than it does? "

actually, I got the impression that the poster of that comment was implying exactly that!

" one false allegation or claim could end my career. "

it could end more than just your career...

This is an appropriate "hat" scenario. Some custom dunce hats made up that day things like "I put my beverage on the sound mixers cart and now I have to wear this stupid hat all day". There could be a nice stack of them prominently displayed conveniently within arms reach...

Get the grips in on it and they will make sure the law gets enforced.

L.O.T.D.! 

Love it.

That's why I ought to get another cup holder for my cart. Genius indeed.

Protocol seems to be a bit stricter on US shoots than German average.

I think that's true. Although I have met the occasional high maintenance actor and director. Still, handing the offending cup sounds like SOP in any country. Of course, I really don't know what it's like in the US

" not necessarily implying the project has any more clout or merit than it does? "

actually, I got the impression that the poster of that comment was implying exactly that!

To set the record straight- The only reason that I said 'On a recent feature', was that the project I was talking about was in fact a feature that I had worked on recently, had it been a commercial or a TV show I would have said 'On a recent commercial'  or 'TV show', and if it was two years ago I would have said something like 'A while ago on a ...... (whatever type of project it was)'.

Sorry but  I'm just a little confused as to why this is an issue? I certainly don't attach any extra professional significance to any project whatever type of production it is. 

To set the record straight- The only reason that I said 'On a recent feature', was that the project I was talking about was in fact a feature that I had worked on recently, had it been a commercial or a TV show I would have said 'On a recent commercial' or 'TV show', and if it was two years ago I would have said something like 'A while ago on a ...... (whatever type of project it was)'.

Sorry but I'm just a little confused as to why this is an issue? I certainly don't attach any extra professional significance to any project whatever type of production it is.

Hi Martin,

I think that was understood by the majority of members here...

The Senator just has a bit of a pet peeve regarding this (non) issue, and not voicing his opinion as such would be difficult for him it seems...

...grain of salt?

~tt

Sorry but  I'm just a little confused as to why this is an issue? I certainly don't attach any extra professional significance to any project whatever type of production it is. 

The fact that it is an issue for one person doesn't mean it's an issue for anyone else. 

Secret Formula:  Ignore that person and the "issue" magically goes away.

Tape down audio controls for any camera that doesn't have a cover for them. Prevents camera operators from inadvertently making changes throughout the day.

Some camera ops don't like it! Its your audio, but also their camera. 

I check tone to camera often ;-(

Tape down audio controls for any camera that doesn't have a cover for them. Prevents camera operators from inadvertently making changes throughout the day.

Some camera ops don't like it! Its your audio, but also their camera. 

I check tone to camera often ;-(

This a great reason to always carry a roll of 1" photo grade paper tape. It will leave no residue and won't harm intact finished surfaces. Also handy for tacking down cables for plant mics.

Save both running and yelling for emergencies. Real emergencies like fire, serious injuries and the like, not production crises like being a couple of setups behind or running out of grace. 

Always thank other departments for help as soon as possible. Thank your crew at the end of every day.

And what John Blankenship says http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/19687-standard-operating-procedure/?p=229399 X10.

Best regards,

Jim

Hadda revisit on a Friday night, pre-3-day-week / four-day weekend anticipatory happy, and what with the wonderful silly turn above and all...

As always, Crew, you bring a special twist to the world that tickles.

It's busy. Lotta green out there. Teaching a lot. O'Brien and I spoke this week on the teaching we do and we do a lot with so much green around busy NYC. It's a huge part of everyone's job to teach: SOP.

Best teaching I did this week was to tell the Key Set PA to write down a list of the information he thought I might ever need from him and his communiques have been reduced by 80 percent, saving me a lotta grief and time when time is at a premium. Never got the list of course, but the proof is in the pudding. He got some big idea to make him happier and better at his job in a kinda huge way.

Of Note: an LA G/E was on our set this week.

Love and miss you guys but know I'm lurking if not writing.

Furthermore, we're getting some really great tracks. The crew/cast support is palpable, tangible, and shows in the work. I'm much stronger with the addition of that statue. Beyond the pretty, it's turned out to be a kind of grave and delightful responsibility: a bit of gravitas that yields a more grounded approach. I'm more comfortable in the sound skin if you will.

Finessing the cart in nice ways.

Marvelous, this thing. Simply marvelous. Your enduring support of me, this forum and one another is remarkable.

See you more at the holidays.