Midrangey "bite" dialogue sound

Andrej H

What. I'm saying is that the version that is played on streaming channels ( not network broadcast) are unaltered from the dubstage.

Ok. Sorry for continuing this but you're not being 100% clear. Are you saying that you know that what plays in the dubstage is what the viewer receives in his home, or are you saying there are no separate mixes for the various destination formats? Because you didn't make it clear that the actual process of broadcasting it or streaming it doesn't add something to that mix that left the dubstage. That's what I'm getting at. You see the difference?

The broadcast version in some cases is adjusted to fit the spec. If the transmission was creating weird anomolies, then all the shows would exhibit the same artifacts. But they don't. And I recognize the sound. It's what you get when you are overusing CEDAR. And it tends to happen if you try to clean dialog with just the Cedar. It's a multi level process.

What a great show. I never noticed this while I was watching because I was so absorbed in the story. Even now it doesn't bother me, but I think I recognize what it is. 

I can't tell for sure, but it sounds like slight misuse/overuse of broadband noise cleanup or expansion. It sounds familiar to me because I've created the same type of sound on dialog the same way (not on purpose).

I really hear it most in those non-tonal midrange fricatives (sh, th, j, etc. ). It sounds like the noise in that range is reduced between words. Then, when those midrange fricatives come out, the processor opens and you get the all the fricatives + the noise in that band. Because fricatives themselves are so similar to noise, it doesn't really sound like extra noise, but rather like there's just too much energy in that band (because there is). Makes those frequencies sound a bit hot and slightly harsh.

I could just be full of it, but that's what it sounds like to me.