Convergent NanoFlash

Mungo

Has anyone experience with the NanoFlash recorder?

Our camera department plans to use it as a recorder for Sony F3 - to get a better picture quality comparable to XDCAM 422.

My first test that the audio level displayed on the LCD doesn't correspond the the level of the recorded file (!). Audio level of the recorded file is the same as the embedded level of the SDI out.

What about the audio in of the NanoFlash? Manual says that it's switchable between stereo mic and mono consumer level symmetrical. Does that work well? I couldn't test it yet.

They also want to use it as a recorder for Canon 5D. New 5D firmware allows a clean HDMI output, connectable to NanoFlash - without 5D sound.

Greets! Mungo

Ugh. I did a week with one of these. Do not trust the meters. It was being used on a multicam setup with a switcher (being fed by 5d's btw rough shoot.)

I fed balanced line level to a Beachtek box, then the recorder's 1/8" input. Recorded on my rig just in case. They used the track on the recorder in the final product. (No audio post on this one) I monitored the recording and thought it just sounded awful but it did exactly what they wanted.

Providing my recorded tracks that I knew were flawless let me sleep well knowing I did the best job possible and served them well.