Sound Devices 633…What do you think?

Jim Feeley

I started this topic so we consolidate the post-announcement discussion and hopefully kill off the several threads simultaneously and annoyingly started by someone, ehem.

Pretty compelling machine for me. I look forward to doing a hands-on comparison with the Sound Devices 633 and the Zaxcom Maxx.

So first three questions:

1) What's the price?

2) Anyone have a used 633 for sale? :-)

3) What do you all think?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks a nice machine. good size and features.

shame that there wasnt enough room for a hirose or multipin out / return connector. but something has to give.

I had the same thought about the Hirose. But like you (I think), it's probably the thing I'd most quickly be willing to give up…especially considering how much extra space I think it'd require.

Those who went to demo how does it's capacities compare?

Does it record higher sample rate?

Does it have a 32bit engine/neverclip type stuff?

Does it have transmitter built in?

Is it twice the size of the maxx like the 664 vs Nomad?

But what trumps all could it possibly be more reliable?

:)

What I love about this is that it could replace my 302/702T package with the 3x SRb for extreme lightweight traveling kit.  Couple it with a 6-mic sfx recording kit and it's hitting the mark.

Imagine their next device in sweeping the market in replacement of the 2-4 input recorder, H4ns for example.  4-input 6-channel recorder in the size of a palm, mark it $1895.

First thoughts...

1) good price, good size, light weight, all the typical good stuff.

2) not sure that I really want to replace the trusty old LED meters for an LCD screen, on a primarily ENG product.

3) transport Joystick - ugh... at least no Sven.

4) this is a great 3 channel ENG mixer / recorder combo, something that I think a lot of us have been asking for a long time.  It is a so / so 4-6 channel mixer, though, but if your primarily after a 302 replacement at double the price, with an occasional need to add a few more inputs, a very compelling product.

5) Even though aimed at the bag user, I noted that X1/X2 can be assigned the headphone source, which in turn can be assigned to the stereo return, which means that I could record 6 channels ISO and a 2 channel mix from my analog mixer, coming into the return - making it a competent recorder for film production too.

6) fabulous power management and flexibility, and emergency file closure is fantastic if it is reliable, negating any need to go with some sort of non-WAV file structure.

I'm on the fence - it's not like I NEED to buy a new recorder now, but if I were in the market for 1 it would be a tough choice.  For an expensive 302 replacement or a cheap 302/702T replacement - no brainer, but if your trying to make it something more - there are some caveats.