Jim Feeley

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" hopefully kill off the several threads... "

now isn't that childish ?

" That is an odd USB connector for keyboards. "

the kit includes the (readily available) adapter.

" wasnt enough room for a hirose or multipin out / return connector. "

it is a 10 track recorder!

" it's probably the thing I'd most quickly be willing to give up… "

lucky you...

no more speculating, only redesigning now...

My take on the Joystick - if your primarily looking for a mixer that has backup recording features, great, seems like an elegant solution.  If your primarily relying on the device for its primary recording features, I feel that there should be a REC button that is giant and lights when in record mode and an equal size STOP button OR Nagra / Fostex style mechanical switches which make it obvious what mode you are in.  I'm a smart and astute guy, but hey - I'll admit to missing record passes because I forgot to press something and there was no immediate visual feedback that I could see in the heat of the moment with typical field distractions.  I would have preferred 7 series "jelly" buttons or some sort of big red switch.  I do think this opens an opportunity for a bolt on accessory that makes the unit's profile a bit bigger, but has all the functions offered via the USB keyboard.

Senator, I'm not so megalomaniacal to think that SD is going to listen to me and make modifications to their production lines or anything, just thinking out loud as I go through the process of making a purchase decision or not.  I think that all of this chatter, even the "bellyaching" and reasonable mudslinging is all helpful and makes the forum interesting as it highlights people individual personalities and preferences, as they react to the professional tools we have at our disposal.  Otherwise it would be less of a forum and simply a place for manufacturers to disseminate company information and for fan boys to echo in chorus.

Like the 664, the 633 comes with a USB A female to USB A female adapter, so a standard USB keyboard can connect to the unit with a standard USB A to USB B cable.

Sample rate options:

44.1 kHz, 47.952 kHz, 47.952 kHz “F” (files stamped 48 kHz), 48 kHz, 48.048 kHz, 48.048 kHz “F” (files stamped 48 kHz), 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, and 192 kHz.

Senator, I'm not so megalomaniacal to think that SD is going to listen to me and make modifications to their production lines or anything, just thinking out loud as I go through the process of making a purchase decision or not.  I think that all of this chatter, even the "bellyaching" and reasonable mudslinging is all helpful and makes the forum interesting as it highlights people individual personalities and preferences, as they react to the professional tools we have at our disposal.  Otherwise it would be less of a forum and simply a place for manufacturers to disseminate company information and for fan boys to echo in chorus.

It's the "I wish it had..." discussions just like this that helps manufacturers design products.  The irony of any criticisms being, this unit evolved in no small part from discussions just like this one.

Looked through the manual... can L-mount batteries be charged while in the unit?

the 633 does not charge the on-board L-Mounts

I agree with Toms thoughts on the joystick. I could imagine the visual feedback for recording could be some background color on the screen?

Like the 664, the 633 LCD shows record status with red background behind the file name and time code.

It's the "I wish it had..." discussions just like this that helps manufacturers design products.  The irony of any criticisms being, this unit evolved in no small part from discussions just like this one.

In the past, manufacturers had to pay big money for marketing researchers and focus groups.  Here it's all laid out for them in a real convenient fashion.

Don't get me wrong, there are things I don't like, but my overall impression of the unit is positive.  If I had a mixing gig with 3 channels and required recording, unless Sonosax does something interesting with their R4 replacement, can't really see anything out there that touches this.  At this moment in time, if I needed it, I would buy the 633.  Since most of my work last year and this next year will be mixing 4 channels and recording provided only as a backup, I'll likely be sticking with my 442 and Zaxcom TRX900/IFB200 recording capabilities - not because I'm so in love with Zaxcom recording, but because the 442 is a better mixer, especially with the 4th channel in play.  Sunlight proof LED meters are still superior to any LCD.

It is a far superior replacement for the 302.  I would not hesitate to do a national commercial with it.  It is digital like the 7 series recorders with input and output delays.  I would not call it an ENG mixer by any stretch cause it does so much more.

I just watched the 663 video. It's pretty cool.  I don't know how well I'd do mixing 4 lavs down to 2 with it, but then it records isos.

I wonder if 4,5,6 can be assigned L or R in a menu, and mixed with those tiny faders...

I want one.

Size weight and functunality look amazing.

I just watched the 663 video. It's pretty cool.  I don't know how well I'd do mixing 4 lavs down to 2 with it, but then it records isos.

I wonder if 4,5,6 can be assigned L or R in a menu, and mixed with those tiny faders...

I want one.

Size weight and functunality look amazing.

David, I any many others do this all time.  Oftentimes I have to mix 6 lavs and 1 or 2 booms down to 2 tracks.  I think the 633 would fit both our needs very well!

Def looks like the product many of us were waiting for! Probably going to be a lot of kinks to workout firmware wise as there aways seems to be with new devices in this market, but after all thats past Im sure this will be another solid product from SD.