Sound Devices 633…What do you think?

Jim Feeley

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Toms thoughts on the joystick. I could imagine the visual feedback for recording could be some background color on the screen?

You hear a beep on your phones,the LCD goes red. on the filename and TC.... whatelse do you need as an indication that 'you are recording'?

I had the same thoughts about the joystick,but after 42 shootingdays with the 664 :no problem.(I only dread the day the stick breaks...)

Had the knobs on my 744 replaced 4 times,so maybe there is some McGyver sollution to a 664 broken joystick....? 

Now, what is killing me is that there is no dedicated mix bus in connector.  I looked into Tom Visser way of doing it, and it should work but being able to access the mix bus directly ( pre limiter of course ), would have been pretty good.  I believe this was left out on purpose as it would have narrowed the different in between 633 and 664.  Pity.

I would have used this as a back up to my 664 for small cart duties or even replace it.  I like to idea of having a fader mixer feeding my recorder with pre-fader direct out and feeding the master out ( mix ) into the mix bus in.  6 isos and a mix all recorded is enough for almost everything i do.

Any chance at making the RTN input routed directly into the mix bus in the future?

Also, another idea i would have loved is using the unit as a power distro for the rest of my kit.  Basically if you are going to carry two L-Mount batteries, it is pretty silly to also have an NP1 for just a couple of wireless receivers.  So why not use Pin 2 and 3 of the power Hirose connectors as DC output feed from the L-mount Batteries.  Of course you would need a voltage regulator ( either built in or an external one ) to drive units requiring 12vdc or higher, but isn't the point to make the unit small?  Having it with its own power source and having to double on the batteries is not the way to go.

But the unit is still an amazing replacement for a 302/744, 442/744 or 552 kit.  

Way to go SD, another great product on the market.

Interesting limiters.

Power source. (You will be idiot if run out of power).

HPF in 192kHz (Off or 50Hz).

Quick boot.

85% in my market; I need a boom track and two radio tracks.

Additional 3 inputs are welcome.

PS: Nice bag from PortaBrace.

Sunlight proof LED meters are still superior to any LCD.

I hear you on that, and I do like the metering on the 302 and 442 a lot. But I've seen some small devices with pretty bright sunlight-friendly screens. And SD writes of the 633, "Clear, fast, easy to navigate controls and interface; visible in all light conditions, configurable metering and display."

Seeing will be believing, but let's hope it's solved.

Oh crap: There's no T-Power.

Matt M or anyone,

The answer to this question is probably in the manual. But I won't have time to read that until tonight.

On plenty of my jobs, we need to get MP3s out for transcription like during lunch break. Can the 633 simultaneously record BWAV to the CF card and MP3 to the SD card?

Pretty dang cool. I am in the market for a mixer that can record for a lightweight bag for run and gun doc stuff. Before today I was leaning towards picking up the 664 but now I find myself wondering if I actually need all 6 full sized faders + features of the 664 considering I usually use a boom + couple lavs (and more on some occasions although not too often).

On a side note, I run a VR Field setup for my lavs and I've always noticed it runs pretty "hot" on the output levels albeit not quite line level. Anyone think using this new guy on the line 4-6 with the VR Field would be a bad idea?

Copying my post from another thread to this one:

Here I am with the new 633 at Gotham Sound, where Pat McConnell kindly answered all of our questions:

1471900_602837913832_1385685427_n.jpg

My thoughts:

- Great size; it is a tad bigger than a 302, about the same size as the 702T.

- I like that It can run 2 Sony L-Series type batteries, as well as 6 internal AA batteries, which will run for a very long time. However, this adds to the weight, which may not be an issue considering it still weighs less than the 664, 788T, Nomad, or a 302/702T combo. But the Maxx is definitely lighter.

- I love that it carries the same great software interface that the 664 has, it's so intuitive.

- Same great quality build that the 664 has.

- I was a bit worried that the small faders for channels 4 - 6 were going to be difficult to use, but they push out (like the trim and pan knobs) and are actually not bad at all.

- It can record up to 6 tracks at 192kHz, which is outstanding.

Overall, great product from a great company. I'm sure it will make many people happy. There were only 12 units at Gotham available for sale, and they all sold out within 2 hours from the unveiling.

David, I any many others do this all time.  Oftentimes I have to mix 6 lavs and 1 or 2 booms down to 2 tracks.  I think the 633 would fit both our needs very well!

I was refering to the ergonomics of the 663 . If you look at the 663 faders for channels 4,5,6 they are tiny.

Nic Stage and Matt Myer-- Thanks for answering the 4,5,6 routing question....

It's looks like a great machine!

It´s great, really great piece of gear

BUT

as Frank Bry AKA "The Recordist" has resumed perfectly in his facebook page I was really hopping for a "real" 744T with 4 744T tipe mic preamps.....

After this release I think that is not going to happen....

What is it you think you are missing on the 633?

" Anyone think using this new guy on the line 4-6 with the VR Field would be a bad idea? "

could be...

I can think of a few...

" What about the Mic-pre , does it sound good ? vs Maxx , 552 or 788 "

yes

" I think that is not going to happen... "

you could be correct...

" I find myself wondering if I actually need all 6 full sized faders + features of the 664 considering I usually use a boom + couple lavs (and more on some occasions although not too often). "

only you can decide that