Sound Devices 633…What do you think?

Jim Feeley

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering how the 6xx series sounds compared to the 7XX series. Has anyone A/B'ed them? Since I record mostly classical music performances, I am particulary interested in the quality of the mic preamps and AtoD converters.

I haven't dug into the manual yet, but am still wondering where the other 4 tracks (in adddition to the 6 inputs) are recorded from.

I'm wondering how the 6xx series sounds compared to the 7XX series. Has anyone A/B'ed them? Since I record mostly classical music performances, I am particulary interested in the quality of the mic preamps and AtoD converters.

I haven't dug into the manual yet, but am still wondering where the other 4 tracks (in adddition to the 6 inputs) are recorded from.

The 7 series have differing Pre-amp technologies - the 744 (and 702/722) are very similar, but the 788T is a completely different design.

The 442 and 552 have transformer-based preamps, the 664 has transformer-less pres (very similar to the 744T design), and the 633 is slightly different again. Finally, the equivalent input noise specs of the 633 are higher than that of the 744T and 788T, equal with those of the 552 and 664. You would have to compare them to see if they fit your needs. I can hear slightly more noise in my 633 than my 744 at mic level with both trims opened fully. The difference in the noise spec between the 744T and the 633 is 4dB. (-126dbu vs -130dbu)

As for the 4 additional tracks, the 633 allows you to record the L and R mix buss, and gives you the option to record two Aux busses as well.

The 7 series have differing Pre-amp technologies - the 744 (and 702/722) are very similar, but the 788T is a completely different design.

The 442 and 552 have transformer-based preamps, the 664 has transformer-less pres (very similar to the 744T design), and the 633 is slightly different again. Finally, the equivalent input noise specs of the 633 are higher than that of the 744T and 788T, equal with those of the 552 and 664. You would have to compare them to see if they fit your needs. I can hear slightly more noise in my 633 than my 744 at mic level with both trims opened fully. The difference in the noise spec between the 744T and the 633 is 4dB. (-126dbu vs -130dbu)

As for the 4 additional tracks, the 633 allows you to record the L and R mix buss, and gives you the option to record two Aux busses as well.

Justin, thank you! I wasn't aware that the there was even a difference within the 700 series. I have the option to use outboard pre amps (you know how snobby us classical guys can be) so it may just boil down to the difference in AtoD converters. The 633 looks like a great value; 2 less tracks than the 788 at half the cost.

Only if 2 is half of 3. ;)

788T's 1.7 kilos vs 633's 1.1 kilos

yeah, it was actually meant as a bit of a joke - but once you factor in extra batteries it's nearly true :)

i guess for classical recordings weight is a non issue anyway though.

on a bit more useful note: 

i've done a comparison between a 702T, 302 and 633 with a MKH 8050 a while back - it wasn't very scientific or controlled but i couldn't hear a difference between the three.

on the other hand i did a mic comparison which was quite surprising:

MKH 50, MKH 8050, Schoeps MK41, Neumann 185 on a 633.

the MKH 50 had the least noise, the MKH 8050 and Schoeps MK41 somewhat more, and the 185 was very noisy (so much more that i had it checked because i thought it was broken). somebody told me that the SD preamps get noisy at high gain, and since all these are excellent mics, this seem to confirm that- the old MKH 50 series has hotter output then the 8050 or the MK41, and the neumann needs quite a bit of more gain. repeated the test with a MKH416 and again got very clean results (and as a side note - matches very well to the MKH 50 - so much that at times it's hard to know which is which).

made me appreciate the MKH50 and 416 again because this also helps them to work well on cheaper recorders like zooms etc.

fwiw

chris

• 2 months later...
"185 was very noisy (so much more that i had it checked because i thought it was broken). somebody told me that the SD preamps get noisy at high gain, and since all these are excellent mics, this seem to confirm that- the old MKH 50 series has hotter output then the 8050 or the MK41, and the neumann needs quite a bit of more gain."

have you used the 633 with DPA4060 or a Neumann 191 by chance? I was wondering how they'd fare re. noise.

I've been in the market for upgrading my fostex LE for sometime, mainly been using a Nagra LB at work. I love the advanced power management on the 633 and multiple isolated tracks but can't decide if i'd be better off with a 7 series.

When curious about a microphones appetite for gain, sensitivity specs are what you want to look at.

My rule of thumb is,

25 mV/pa and above = Hot Output (can feed sub-par preamps with decent results)

This includes : Sennheiser MKH 40,50,60,70, 8060, 8070  Sanken CS-3e

20 mV/pa and below = Low Output (clean preamps are a must) 

This includes : Sennheiser MKH 8040,8050, All Schoeps mics, Neumann KMR81i

• 2 weeks later...

After using my 633 for a week straight I have very few things I don't like about it. My one complaint is the compact flash card is a pain in the ass to remove. Especially when its in a bag. I wish it had an eject button like the SD card. Other than that is is a well built recorder with a lot of fire power with a great form factor. Also I like their headphone amp. Sounds good.

CrewC

I'll look into that Andy. Thanks. If I had my cart I'd use my roach clip, uh, I mean suture clip to pull it out.

CrewC

Crew,

I can't get my arthritic claws to latch onto a CF card on either of my 6 series machines so one of these is a real help. Here's a pic of the fuse puller Andy's talking about. It'll clip onto a strap or divider in a mixer bag. Usually < $5.00 at your local auto parts store.

Best regards,

Jim

0760571.jpg

• 3 months later...

Note: This belongs in the Want To Buy - Want To Sell section, not here in Equipment. I am not able to move it easily since it has been entered as a Comment not as a Post. vw45sound (?) joined us two days ago on May 6th and this is the only post. Proceed with caution.

- jw

Hi,

I'm pulling out of the film business so I'm selling my Sound Devices 633.

I kept it in a Stingray Bag so it is in like-new condition. There are no scratches and the machine works great. I had it for about over 6 months. I'm asking for $3100 but feel free to shoot me an offer (retail is $3,230). I'm located in Los Angeles and I'm only interested local pickup.

Please message me if you're interested. Thanks!

post-11549-0-01053900-1431051695_thumb.j

post-11549-0-29038500-1431051703_thumb.j

post-11549-0-96803500-1431051711_thumb.j

post-11549-0-11211800-1431051721_thumb.j

post-11549-0-56360500-1431051729_thumb.j

post-11549-0-88843500-1431051737_thumb.j

post-11549-0-72229900-1431051745_thumb.j

Note: This belongs in the Want To Buy - Want To Sell section, not here in Equipment. I am not able to move it easily since it has been entered as a Comment not as a Post. vw45sound (?) joined us two days ago on May 6th and this is the only post. Proceed with caution.

- jw

Hi,

I'm pulling out of the film business so I'm selling my Sound Devices 633.

I kept it in a Stingray Bag so it is in like-new condition. There are no scratches and the machine works great. I had it for about over 6 months. I'm asking for $3100 but feel free to shoot me an offer (retail is $3,230). I'm located in Los Angeles and I'm only interested local pickup.

Please message me if you're interested. Thanks!

where did you get your screen protector?